Shukan Bunshun article "American arrogance towards Olympic spirit"

That was a very tasteless display, and a ghastly precedent to set. I suppose when the Olympics are held in one of the countries that the US dubs 'evil' and they bring in some hallowed wreckage from one of their wars, the US will scream 'politics!' and boycott.

But hey, it's the Olympics right? You can bring in yer Injuns and yer Abos that you nearly succeeded in wiping out and parade them around. You've got a captive audience so you can adjust the 'format' to accomodate a torn flag (what was that flag anyway? - I don't even know where it came from), and maybe the President, Dear Leader, Helmsman or Fuhrer. Shades of the Berlin Olympics?

But doggy-style is right in his own incoherent way. There's nothing you can do about it. It's not a democratic institution, it doesn't have any wider meaning or impact beyond the big show that it is, and you can take it or leave it. You can just kick up your feet and enjoy the quirky judgements and nationalist hulabaloo that follows.

And I fully expect an inane comment from some unregistered joker to follow. Hello 'Juan Antonio', howya doin'?

thomas, nothing wrong with that. This site is about sports (sort of) and anyway, if we can discuss our favourite beer here, why not the winter olympics too hey?

Never been much of a flag or ceremony sort of person myself anyway, so the Olympics is a good opportunity for some snorts and harumphs.

Ive got to say it really got up my nose when the americans brought out "the flag". 20,000 or so indians died in an earthquake over there last year but they dont get a special mention. Im sure there would be plenty of examples of tradgedy and grief from many of the countries taking part.

After that unbelievable insult to the Olympic movement I turn on the T.V yesterday and see the American Bobsleigh team in a sled with a giant "U.S. ARMY" sign on it. Please tell me they're not planning to race that thing in the Olynpic contest.

The U.S has totally lost the plot when it comes to the Olympic spirit!

Any of you guys have Fox news? Cracks me up that channel. Apart from the permenant US flag in the top corner of the screen, their "Fair & Balanced" catchphrase is the funniest thing I've heard in a long while. If you have never seen it, check it out. You will laugh.

Well this thread seems to have calmed down.

Can I ask some Americans what they seriously think about this Axis of Evil (!) comments coming from Mr Bush? It's hard for it to sink in that the Prez feels he can say something like that and people taking him seriously. Just out of interest....

Don't flame me please.....peace to all!

kiss.gif

Quote from the main lady Fox News announcer just now (talking about America)....

"let's face it, this is the best country there is......" blah blah blah

Do Americans REALLY believe this and are able to say this without cringing????

well brit-gob...

I don't mean to start a quarall or anything, but there are citizens of many a country who believe their homeland is the shangrila of the world...

It is easy to criticize and rag on the US while it is under the worlds microscope...but your comment is nothing more than a cheap shot...I can't even count how many foriegners (non-us that is) have spit on anyone that does not offer the highest praise to their country...

national pride, patriotism, these are not crimes, especially when we are in a state of war (whether you think it is a justified one or not). brit-gob, do you include brit in your handle because you are from Britain...why? does it have anything to do with pride? is that wrong? I don't think so...

anyways, this stuff doesn't carry on to the mtn...unless its the olympics and you are the austrian ski team...

skiing (and maybe snowboarding) can break

all the world's barriers!

peace,

danz

Hi danz

Dont want a quarrel either, danz.

Let's peace.

But the fact does remain, you hear the same "we are the best" stuff before "911".

FYI, I am from Australia, brought up in Hong Kong. No Brit-ness in me at all - the "brit" in the nickname has a wholly unrelated meaning

• 4 weeks later...

"Is this not the greatest, free-est and best country God made"

Just said by an announcer on Fox News concerning his country.

Can you believe that they can even think that let alone saying it without laughing???

Very sad.