Shukan Bunshun article "American arrogance towards Olympic spirit"

"Shukan Bunshun (2/21) dumps on what it describes as "American arrogance toward the spirit of the Olympics" at the St. Lake City Games' opening ceremonies."

Anyone seen this - concerns the flag issue, the USA chants and shirts worn by the torchlighting team (a first), and Mr Bushs addition to the protocol announcing the Games open.

I just love (not) the way the "Fair and Balanced" Fox Channel still has the US flag waving at the top of all its broadcasts. Until when is that going to continue? It all reeks of "too much" - interested to know of any Americans opinions on this kind of thing.

it's to remind everyone that we Americans have SPIRIT,UNITY and FREEDOM to stand tough through adversity and that we're PROUD to be AMERICANS. Hey... if your country was attacked and lost some 3000 innocent people I'm sure you would see this sort of PATRIOTISM. Or maybe not... from the likes of people like YOU.. I hope you choke on the images of the American Flag...

Thomas

Thought there would be a response like that!

OK, doggystyle, so you are proud and a patriot, arent you? Thats fine. Dozo....

But for how long does the flag on the TV and all of this continue? And for the consumption of the rest of the world? (as per Olympics ceremony). Forever?

And can you not think of another country that has seen tradegy or terrorism ever before? Maybe not 3000 people at one time (oh yes, werent many of those victims non-Americans?), but ongoing and for a long long time anyway?

Or do they not show tell you that kind of thing goes on in the US news?

Thomas,

Why don't you post your thoughts in the proper arena? For someone who's talking about too much Americana and the politicized nature of the Olympics, don't you realize this is a board about winter sports?

Get a life...

BD

Oh yes.

But wait a minute, the Olympics are, hmm, the Winter Olypmics. I heard there were quite a few winter sports going on there? Maybe I was wrong.

Thanks for wishing me all the best on getting a life, BD. Appreciated.

It's nice to see Americans can be united about something other than what an asshole they thought the president was pre 9/11.

Gotta feel sorry for the Iranian team at the opening ceremony. Seeing the games being opened by someone who'd dismissed your country as an "axis of evil" two weeks earlier. Must have taken real courage to go out there with their flag. Makes you half wish they had a better skater than Michelle Kwan....

For alternative opinions

http://www.zmag.org/weluser.htm

"Shukan Bunshun (2/21) dumps on what it describes as "American arrogance toward the spirit of the Olympics" at the St. Lake City Games' opening ceremonies."

hhmmm.... coming from a Country that until recently has only shown it's own athletes on public TV... not even recognizing the other athletes from other country's accomplishments. Sounds a little 'arrogant' too doesn't it? Is that the spirit of the Olympics? Or is it when the Asahi... gripes about Shimizu not getting the Gold... is that about Olympic spirit? ...

so tell me Thomas what is your idea of Olympic spirit?

Something along the lines of fair play, sports - not politics, overt patriotism.

I don't like the Japanese coverage either.

I find all forms of nationalism rather ugly. In that sense it seems us Americans* (see below) and Japanese in general do have a lot in common.

Have you answered the "when will the waving flag on the TV continue until" question yet? And why the US terrorist incident, terrible though it of course was, was more terrible that any other number of terrible terrorism incidents that have gone on over decades in other countries?

By the way, Yeah!, thanks for the link...looks very interesting.

Also by the way - I am American.

... the US media is gonna ride this 'patriotism' until it's running on fumes.. so the Flag will be waiving, until who knows when.

And yeah it's a shame that Americans(myself included) and the world had it's eyes opened because of 9/11 to see what has been happening and has happened for hundreds of years now...

.. i think nationalism can't be helped in the arena of the olympics.. that's just part of the olympics and the olympic spirit..

competition brings out the best and the worst...

to Thomas .. i thought you'd be American

Quote:
.. i think nationalism can't be helped in the arena of the olympics.. that's just part of the olympics and the olympic spirit..

Does that include changing Olympic protocol by adding nationalistic words to the opening words, or bringing on a torn flag from "ground zero", or wearing national team uniforms (another first), or chanting USA USA USA USA, or......???

I don't think so.

And why did you think I was an American doggy-style, not just a jealous foreigner mouthing off because I dont come from the "greatest country on earth". Yeah, sure.

It is comments like this and times like these that I feel almost embarrased to be.

or.. is it everyone in the audience watching the Olympics from different countries wearing there country's colors, having they're national flag painted on their faces, singing along with their country's national anthem, is that not olympic spirit.. i think BD was right.. get a life! Do you always gripe about crap like this? Man you should be embarrased to be an American... yet a human being. Why are you even watching the Winer Olympics? Are you going to gripe about every little thing printed in the press and shown on TV? Take a look at your own life and find your own shortcomings.... hell we just wanna watch good entertainment and cheer for our country's Athletes.... did you for get about that? once again... get a life!! There's a lot more to it than your view of Nationalism.. why don't you do something positive and email NBC about this gripe you've been having and joing the others who feel the same way... and leave us normal people to watch the Olympics..

i think it's absolutely ok to wearing your country's colors, having they're national flag painted on their faces, singing along with their country's national anthem.

thats olympical spirit!

BUT, i and the rest of the world is NOT intrested in your president's and your countries PROPAGANDA and problems!

the opening ceremony is NOT the place to say the world "look how poor we are" and its not the place to legitimate war or your countries politics.

i can't remember to see any other huge flag, than the one with the 5 rings, brougt in to the stadium during the opening ceremonys the past few years.

so keep in mind that the olympic is all about peace on earth and understanding of each other.

good politics or bad politics? Is YOUR country's president an Angel? Who cares it was done. What are you gonna do and can you do about it is the question? Why don't you go complain about it elswhere. I'm sure there are people who share the same opinion and there are people who disagree with you..... quit wining and just kick up your feet and enjoy the Winter Olympics like everyone else who is trying too.

Agreed on that ivo - nothing wrong with painting faces, etc supporting your country team.

As you so rightly pointed out, that is not the point being brought up here. But doggy-style is never going to be able to see that, ivo, so there you go!

And I am enjoying the Olympics, as I am sure you are too, ivo, yeah? Again, not the point here.

yeah... i get it alright. it's people like you who have nothing else better to do than to gripe about what's right or wrong in the world on a skiing forum, hhmm lets see. why don't you actually do something productive about it. Write your local congressman, boycott American TV, join movement groups, join a debate club, ... i guess there's a lot more things you can do than just stir up some opinions on a skiing forum... if you take it that personally.. i think you've got problems.. or just too much time on your hands. There's a lot more other problems in the world ie: povery, starvation, homelessness, aids, war, etc.... and you're getting old worked over about one article... way too much time my friends.

A rather predictable - let's go the other way post. I am opening up "debate" on this here winter sports forum of people with an "international" outlook. Obviously not all. So why do you always feel the need to respond? Isn't it you who is doing the griping? I was just bringing up the subject hopefully for intelligent discussion. Alas....

Felt compelled to answer to this one.

Why are you getting so worked up doggy-style? I don't see Thomas being nasty or himself getting worked up, just him commenting on what he sees as the American view of the world. He isn't questioning your patriotism or insulting you personally.

I too am also from the US, and I too sometimes cringe at some of the comments and actions I see. And certain parts of the opening ceremony - in my opinion, and in the opinion of a great many people throughout the world - should not have been the taken over and adjusted as it was. Please remember there were many many people who also lost their lives in September who were not from the US.

This is a winter sports forum board, made up of - I presume - mostly foreigners living in Japan. A great many of them no doubt from the US. So it seems a perfectly valid place to discuss this to me.

You seem way too sensitive about this. It is after all supposed to be a discussion board, not a shouting-board. I hope that more people will post on this issue.....