I've never ridden either, but I'd get

either that Winterstick or a lib-tech

longboard. I think it's lib-tech ?

Either them or gnu.

Arbor snowboards makes a pretty tight

series of longboards as well. their

website is farked for some reason though,

so you have to search retailers.

The Fish is only 156, so if you like hiking the backcountry it should be a lot easier to carry that something that's 180 or thereabouts. Should be cool turning in the trees too.

I saw a Japan page that had a 86000 price tag on the Fish, but don't remember if that's just the RRP. The info was just a translation of the stuff on the Burton page.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
montoya, whatcha riding now?

um, sims montoya 156.

I did see the Burton Fish at a Minami in
Jinbocho today. it looked pretty cool, but
upon closer inspection, I had a feeling
somebody at the shop had taken it for a
test-ride... 86000 price tag.

Hi,

I ride an Oxbow backcountry and have been very happy with it in Niseko. It has a pintail shape which helps a bit with keeping the nose up.

Quite a few of the locals are riding Gentem sticks (www.gentemstick.com) made by Taro Tamai.

I tried one of these last year and it rips.

Heaps of rocker and nose lift means you don't have to push on the tail, it has a superfast base and floats like a butterfly.

They now have a double pin tail shape too.

check it out, the major downer is the price.

cheers.

Yo Ocean

160,000 for the Gentem Swallowtail. If you think that sounds expensive, just think about what some people spend on cars that they hardly get to drive. Your local at Niseko may well use his powder board more than your average young bloke in Tokyo uses the car he bought on credit thinking it would help him land a nice chick.

As an aside, limited praise to Minami if the staff actually try out the boards they're selling. All too often in Japan the advice you get off shop assistants is just a simplification of what's written on the sticker on the board. I think it's worth paying more for good service. Minus points if they're trying to sell one they've ridden as new. With a minor board like the Fish or the Burton split boards, I don't think many are going to come to Japan through the grey channels, so you'll just have to pay Burton Japan's prices or hop on a plane to LA. You could save up to half the airfare on a board alone. Throw in some bindings and other gear and you can convince yourself that the trip has paid for itself.

You're only young once ! I say buy the board !

Ocean 11, Luckily enough I am not forking out for powder boards! Mine was given to me from the dealer as its a hard board to sell here due to the width and size. also lucked a 164 too. trying to scam a 58 but much harder as they are better sellers! when its free you can't knock it back! It still hasn't graced the slopes of Niseko but..

Actually, Gentem stick is NOT a swallow tail, it's a Double Pin Tail (DPT). But if you are really into powder, get Gentem TT (short for Tamai Taro, some say Takaku Tomoki). It has no camber, so not ridable on groomers but great on powder. Others are Burton cascade, Fish, K2Eldorado. But my view is none beats the TT.

Ocean11,

living in Hokkaido, a powder board is all you need/want. (Unless you'd rather ride an icy pipe than 30cm of fresh pow). I picked mine up for 38,000. I've seen old model(brand new) eldorados for as little as 29,000 and burton supermodels for 40,000.

On the Gentem, the first day I rode it I thought it was amazing, the second day though, I realised that it didn't feel as good as my board in certain situations and I'd be better sticking with what I have.

Nipps in Niseko let you demo the Gentem, try one and see if you like it.

cheers.