Ever heard of the powder triangle in BC?....

Fernie is likely to be the next Whistler.

Of course there is always Utah....snowbird-alta interconnect. (parkcity for you jibbers out there)

Whistler-blackcomb and the backcountry is just straight out sick.....and whistler is a city in itself.....if you don't mind paying thru the ass for a closet

there's more.....can anyone beat Girdwood Alaska or Alyeska?

check out powdermag.com for some of the lowdown

anyone have any suggestions for anywhere in Europe?

• 2 weeks later...

no comparison...Imagine Jackson Hole...large, non? Now multiply by 6 or so and you get Verbier, CH. That doesn't even begin to take into account all the BC sking that is possible. Then link it up

with everything you've ever imagined...that's how big Europe is...if they have a good snow year next season (this season is not good), make a pilgrimage. It will change the way you think about things. Try Verbier in CH, then La Grave...wind it up in Chamonix. Do be careful. Skiing has consequences in Europe...deadly serious ones if you head off piste with no regard for the mountains.

I agree that Whistler is great, but if you want to know where to go in Europe then Avoriaz in France wins hands down. A lot of people claim it to be the snowboard capital of the world, and it was certainly one of the first places to welcome boarders and even to have dedicated snowboard slopes, areas and lifts. It's part of a linked area of resorts called the Portes de Soleil which stretches from France across over into Switzerland and is one of the largest linked areas in the world, and the back-country riding is amazing.

Another good and large resort is Les Arcs (France) which claims to be the birth-place of boarding, but I was out there last month and the snow wasn't too good - although it's supposed to be pretty good right now.

Chamonix (also France) is very popular with serious bc riders, but I've never been. I've ridden in most European countries and France definately has some of the best resorts and certainly the biggest selection, but St Anton in Austria and Sauze d'Oulx in Italy are both very good as well.

You guys forgot something! Las Lenas, Argentina. This place is sick! For those looking for even more challenging terrain than BC and Verbier head south this year. Best time? August. See you there!

[This message has been edited by camel (edited 10 March 2002).]

• 2 months later...