Went to GALA last week using their special discount offer (you can find it on their page here somewhere). Great value and superb snow at the resort. And not busy, which was the biggest plus for me. Had heard of nightmares!

I went to GALA last season when I was working in Tokyo for a month and used this same kind of deal. Definitely a great way to go if you want to go to that resort.

• 2 weeks later...

How is the skiing at Gala. I looked at the map and looks like it only has about 400m of vertical. Is it steep, flat, lots of snow, and how are the crowds. Just curious because I'm thinking of doing this offer with the train. Thanks

i thought gala yuzawa was bloody awful and intend never, ever to go there again. huge queues, CRAP music (YMCA in japanese? i rest my case), overpriced food (much more so than anywhere else) and so little steep/long terrain it wasn't funny. that said, there are some great but short tree runs off to the right side of the terrain park, which are fun on a good powder day.

to be honest, i was bored silly after about 3 hours as I had done every run several times over and was sick of dodging the beginners (boarders and skiers) who took up the slopes at every turn (a lot of the slopes are fairly narrow, especially the ones to the base). If you have time and the extra yen it takes to go further afield, I would give gala the widest berth possible.

here endeth my rant.

rolleyes.gif

Well....there seem to be a lot of people who like GALA. I have been a few times when it has not been busy at all and had a great time. The left hand side of the resort is NOT EASY, I am an intermediate skier and had aching legs after an afternoon on those runs.

So some people like it and some don't.