Cost of lift tickets compared to other countries

Is Japan expensive to board in compared to other countries. For me it seems expensive, but I have never hit the slopes anywhere else apart from here. (Started 3 years ago at Hunter Mountain!). Was just wondering if Japan was expensive for this as well as most other things!

hey jellbabe...

well, it depends how you tally up the cost...

if you are just taking lift tickets, japan

is comparable to most US skiing...you can

pay from $30-$60 for a lift ticket in the us...

but if you factor in highway/train fees,

parking lot fees, and other misc than japan

is definetly more costly (if we are talking

just day or 2-day trips)...

danz

------------------

pray for snow

Never bee to the states, but based on lift prices Danz quotes, japan tickets are considerably cheaper, given current exchange rates, with the most expensive ticket, including nighter, that I've ever bought topping out at under $40.

switzerland and europe is cheaper than japan!

a daypass in switzerland coast between 2500 and 4500 yen, depends on the size and the popularity of the resort.

Interesting topic of discussion here. At Happo-One tickets are Y4,600 with the yen rate for $ at about 130 right now it is about $35 per day of skiing. That is quite good compared to many places back in the USA which on weekends are in the low to mid $50 range. But one has to factor in toll costs as well as food. Tolls from down in Tokyo to Hakuba are close to Y5,000 each way. So you factor that in and it gets expensive quickly.

The exchange rates do make a big difference. Was only last year (?) when $1 was around 100 yen - not it's way up at around 135 yen....big difference.

Expressway tolls are definitely painful, but better that than the government paying for roads with (40%) taxes. If you live and work in japan, I think you get a fair deal. For self drive visitors though... ouch!

miteyak...

are you serious...I live and work here

and avoid highways at all costs...if I were

to commute to work by highway, about a

25km stretch...it would cost 1500yen/day

1500x5x49 = 367500 yen a year just for highway costs! that is nuts, I don't care where in the world you live...

danz

If I lived in Britain, I'd pay around 1,600,000 yen more in taxes a year, and thats not including national insurance (compulsary). What you quoted in highway costs to drive to work isn't too different to what many of my friends pay taking the train to work. If you drive you should pay for the privelege. Why should roads be heavily subsidized by taxpayers when other modes of transport aren't (as in Britain)