Read in a few places on this site and elsewhere about nightmare queues on the slopes here, like waiting an hour or so to get on a 300 meter lift and things like that.

I have only been here since last season, been to really popular places and have never had to wait more than a few mins for a lift even on weekends. Whats the deal?

Anyone been round long enough to experience the height of the ski boom and those dreadful queues.....how bad was it? Would be interesting to hear just how much it has changed.

Must've been a lot worse because nearly everybody was a skier back then. More sticks and planks to get in the way... And the clash of all the different colours of the ski suits must have been quite appalling to see...

Well, Ocean really is a riot isn't he?

Very very busy.

Nothing to do with skiers or snowboarders, although the half-arsed way boarders have to "walk" in a lift line and then sit at the top of the slope and then about 5 times on the way down because they've "fallen over" does nothing for the queues.

Looking at resorts now, it's almost impossible to visualise how bad it was.

Good thing for us of course.

Think of yourself as lucky if you are new to the scene here in Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

I was here way back then. In a wierd kind of way, it is sad to see resorts now compared to what they were like back in the bubble/ski boom. Things have changed so much. Of course it's good for the skiers or boarders now who can enjoy emptier slopes, but I can't help feel that in some way it will not benefit the skier in the long run. Maybe with resorts closing down and going out of business or whatever.

Rnjoy it while you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I can remember it well. Things were wild back then with huge queues for even the smallest lift at any of the popular places. I was in Gunma at the time, so I did most of my skiing there and in the Yuzawa area. Places like Naeba were just ridiculously busy, and not worth even contemplating on a weekend or holiday. Things seem to be a bit different now though from all accounts. I have just come back to Japan after a 7 year absence and went to Kagura the other day and it was almost empty.

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this website, but have been in Japan for about 14 years now. The Skiing Experience back then was mostly waiting for lifts and looking cool (highly debatable), it's nice to be able to ski without the huge crowds now. Although some of the excitement that was around then seems to have disappeared from the scene here.