Hello everyone.

Vivien from Hong Kong here.

I just want to know if the signposts at resorts have signs in English, or are they all in Japanese. I can't read Japanese, so a bit worried.

Thank you for any help.

There are quite a lot of signs in English, or at least an attempt at English. Also lots of symbolic signs.

If you are at all familiar with Chinese, you'll probably find you recognize quite a few characters - I've never studied Chinese, but I can get the gist of many signs in Chinese from what I know of Japanese.

Anyway, you should have no problem!

Hi Vivien

I don't think you need to be able to read any Japanese for "survival", so don't be worried! Like my friend, you may end up buying whipping cream instead of milk, but it's all part of the fun of travelling. It's not going to get you into a lot of trouble.

As advice, it may help you to learn two kanji (Chinese characters). They are the one for "man" and the one for "woman". Most toilets in public places use the international symbols, but in restaurants/accomodation some of the toilets/baths don't, so it's good to know the characters. Some onsens also regularly swap over the men's and women's sections since one may have a better view than the other. If you just walk into the side you used the last time (I've nearly done this after ten years in Japan), it will take you into a room full of naked people of the opposite sex! In such cases, the only way to tell which one is which is the Chinese character on the curtain. I'm certain someone will help you out if you're not sure, but if you're the easily embarrassed type, you'll be able to know for yourself if you remember those characters beforehand.

Most of the ski resorts have colour-coded runs that are easy to understand. They mightn't use the same colours from resort to resort or the same colours as other countries, but all of the pistes are well-marked.

• 2 months later...

When I first came to Japan I was hungry and went in an omiyage shop. I saw some onsen-manju and bought them thinking it was some kind of chocolate cake. That was my first experience of "anko". I wasn't impressed. The next day I also tried to make curry from one of those blocks you can buy just by adding a bit of water. Euugh.

PS I like anko now

Anko is sweet bean paste and = big disapointment when you think you're eating a jam donut. I never did quite get over it and hate the stuff to this day.

[This message has been edited by Davo (edited 19 May 2002).]

Disappointment when you think you're biting into a jam doughnut yes, but I have actually grown to like the old bean jam paste.