OK, I have read lots of the reviews on the site for this place, and it seems to invite extreme views - with people either loving it or hating it.

Never been myself, so for those that have been - is it a great place or just the opposite?

yo frannyo...

i was not so impressed...for the distance

you need to travel, you can do better...there just are not that many trails, and its not that challenging a mtn...not to mention that it is VERY poorly designed...go to nozawa or hakuba instdead...

danz

MY Chinese friends went to Japan for 7 days in February and spent a few days at yamagata Zaoonsen and they really liked the place. Their favorite few days of fun. Said it was really big and good runs for them (they are beginner/inter skill level).

Big distance to travel - lots of high speed driving to get there.......lots of slow speed walking once you're there, but lots of snow (at least when I was there....)

I like it, especially the ramen shop near the gondola station. For sure, one to check out and make your own opinion.

OK, if you go on a nice day. But you can never count on the weather being nice at Zao Onsen.

Lots of flat terrain where different runs connect. Not a lot of method to the madness, but still an interesting place to ski. If you like snow monsters, this is the best place to see them in Japan, but not the only place as Shiga Kogen Yokote-yama has some excellent snow monsters. But Yokote-yama has to be the most inconvenient place I have ever skiied in Japan (the lifts suck). But then again the view from the top is the best in Japan at almost 2500 meters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what the weather was generally like this last season up at Zao. It seems to have a rep as a place that gets very cold icy weather in February, just wondering if this season was normal or maybe a bit warmer than usual?

• 1 month later...

I think Zao is a wonderful place and one of my top favorite resorts in the world. Agreed with some of the points brought up by other readers and in the reviews section, but the good points far outweigh the bad. I am a lower intermediate skier, by the way.