To all you boarders - did you used to ski?

yep i used to ski, might try it again someday

if someone wants to switch with me. i quit

because snowboarding was much more fun and

because i didn't have to walk around in

uncomfortable boots carrying toothpicks

all over creation.

I ski'd for 3 or 4 seasons, but then I tried snowboarding and haven't ski'd since. I was also skateboarding for 3 years until a bad injury forced me to quit, so the transition to snowboarding came easily for me .

• 2 months later...

Went straight onto a board.

Ex surfer/skateboarder, so the concept of going sideways was already in my head.

Thought about skiing, but am very worried about my knees getting totally trashed in an accident.

Its funny that, I've heard of a few people who have done their knees in from skiing. I thought they were just moaning, is it a common condition?

I know quite a few skiers that have trashed their knees, including requiring surgery.

My knees have always been pretty weak and have some side to side movement and quite easily become sore and packed with fluid from pushing a shopping trolley that has dodgy wheels. Basically they sprain if twisted even a little bit.

So I have always been worried about making the problem worse, and the thought of twisting them in a skiiing accident petrifies me.

There's plenty of wear and tear on the knees with snowboarding too. An ankle injury I took resulted in a painful knee as a side-effect. A friend hit a mogul with knees locked backwards and pretty much screwed them up for life. So it's not as if you choose snowboarding to save your knees...

I heard that Snowboarding is more dangerous than skiing for ankle injuries due to the softer boots but skiiers are much more likely to have knee injuries because their knees can rotate independently. This is unlike snowboarding where any rotation force effects both legs . . . two knees are stronger than one.

Having said this I screwed up my knee in February by accidently flying into a tree and I was on a board