World's Largest Indoor Snowdome To Close in September

The world's largest indoor snow ski centre, the SSAWS dome in Tokyo, will close on later this year. A spokesperson for SSAWS confirmed the slope will close on September 30th.

The ten-storey high centre, visible for miles around, opened in 1994 following a $400 million (US) investment and has remained the giant of indoor ski centres ever since. The ski slope was built in an earthquake zone on reclaimed land in Tokyo Harbour. Special construction techniques make it earthquake proof, in part to prevent collapse and allegedly also to prevent any danger of an indoor avalanches being set off. A German dome opened early in 2001 with a slope of similar 500m (1700 feet) length, but not the 100m (330m) width of the Tokyo dome.

A feasibility study carried out for the dome in the early 1990s indicated that the centre would take 11 years to reach profitability and repay its debts after 18 years. However its opening coincided with the downturn in the Eastern Asian economy which remains in recession. The figures relied on visitor figures of 1.3 million per annum, spending an average of $80 per visit and generating $104 million annual. Tax and interest on the initial investment to build the centre was over $30 million per year and operating costs $40 million.

Since SSAWS opened around a dozen more domes have open in Japan and neighbouring countries in the region, although none on the same spectacular scale. There are constantly circulating rumours as to the financial health of several other snowdomes around the world, and the vast majorit7y of dome development projects never get off the ground because their figures don't bear close examination. However most new projects are on more realistically sustainable business models and operating costs to maintain the snow surface have also fallen dramatically since SSAWS was built.

That's right rach.

It is now official that SSAWS will be closing on the 30th September.

The website is in Japanese, but here is the official announcement on their site.

http://www.ssaws.com/annai.html

It may not compare the the winter mountain experience, but this is sad news. Time to get that last ride in at SSAWS this summer?

Thanx rach for info.

It's sad news that SSAWS gonna close.

I went to SSAWS many times, (then I went to Costcos & outlet shopping mall in Kaihin-Makuhari after boarding) off course, mountains in winter season is best but I like snowboarding in SSAWS during summer as well. Pretty shame.

Sawws was the place I first experienced snowboarding 3 years ago, and I visited the place at least 4 or 5 times during the summer to maintain my groove. I always thought the price for Sawws was too high during the last 2 years and the winter months. Previously, they had a hourly rate which suited avid skiers and snowboarders because after 3 or 4 trips down the slope I am usually ready to leave due to boredom. Paying approximately y10,000 per person for a trip to Sawss is almost the same price as a day-trip to the real slopes during the winter months and that is one of the reasons the venture failed. But during the summer...it was worth the price to enjoy some winter fun during the sweaty summer months in Japan.

Another moment of silence please.

i live fairly nearby and cannot imagine not being able to go there a few times a month in the horrible Japanese summer weather ("summer weather" read "May-October")

• 3 weeks later...

Hey and whats that big wheel thing doing near - but not in - Disneyland? Kind of seemed to be out there on its own in the middle of a field...?!!? Anyone know?