fastest ever recorded on a snowboard was a guy called Darren Watson from Australia.

straight lined it to 220km on some mountain in France a few years ago.

oh, on a snowboard too, not skis.

Most snow speed records are attempted / acheived at Les Arcs 1800 in France. They have what is called the Flying Kilometer - and straight, steep pitch with a long run out at the bottom.

A few years ago a bloke on a MTB did 150 odd MPH down that hill!! Mad as you like!

I have always wanted to know how fast I am going when I start papping it and slow down!

Martin

I believe the skiers' record is something around 240-250km/h. That's pretty good when you consider the normal speed at freefall (flat on stomach) is about 180km/h...

Hello, I'm Parasite.

You may not appreciate me, but I am a living creature. I don't have anything of interest to add myself, nor anything relevent, but occasionally I like to appear and say something snide. I am never witty, at least not beyond something that would make a 14 year old boy or an 11 year old girl snigger.

I have any number of phases and mutations, none of them particularly suited to snowy conditions or winter sports. So I rather stand out like a tapeworm stands out in a turd. It would be a mercy if I was ruthlessly and merrily eliminated every time I inflict my miserably trite presence on the board, but somehow, I always get overlooked by the Administrator.

Well I'm off now, perhaps to pretend to be a real person on this board, or maybe to leech some nutriment from some other host on another bulletin board. Ho-hum, life is a blast...

rolleyes.gif

Hmmm. Interesting post "Parasite".

As much as I might well be tempted to erase these words of "wisdom", I think this one can stay on the Forum for the "amusement" of all our readers.

Halo

[This message has been edited by Ski Japan Guide (edited 22 March 2002).]

I used to watch the BBC ski program when I was a kid (back in the days of Peter Mueller and Franz Klammer). The commentators always used to say that downhillers flatten their jumps because being in the air slows them down compared to staying in the tuck position. Dunno whether there's any truth in it, but it would coincide with a skier going faster than someone in freefall.

Unless you're really good, it won't look like you're going very fast on video. In a photo, however, if you press the shutter at just the right time, you can make people in mid-air look like they're really flying. Much better for showing your mates.

skiers probably go faster, jump higher,

etc. all day long.

it's the strength and aerodynamics you gain

by having two planks, and looking straight

ahead in a tucked position.

still doesn't change the fact that boarders

have more fun.