Still a good six weeks or more of skiing left in Tohoku. Most resorts from Fukushima north to Hokkaido stay open through Golden Week. My Golden Week favorites are Geto Pia, Hakkoda, and Iwaki-san. Hakkoda and Iwaki-san are both off course snow field skiing over Golden Week.

Also, don't forget Gassan in Yamagata-ken. It is open from the end of April to the end of July. In fact in 1993, you could ski there through Obon before they finally closed down. The interesting thing about Gassan is that they can't open before mid-April as there is too much snow.

I think they probably have. I usually take a bus or car up as high as we can go after they open the road in April. Then ski down the mountain and either hitch or find a bus back to the top. Works great if you have a friend with another car. Park one at the top of the mountain and another somewhere around the base.

At Hakkoda, you can do much the same thing except park the first car at the entrance to the ropeway and take the ropeway to the top. Then take a couple of hours to get down to the second car you have parked on the opposite side of the mountain. Once the roads are cleared in late April, Hakkoda is pretty easy to go around by bus.

Quote:
Originally posted by IM:

I thought Iwaki San quit operating the cat this season?

Just checked and Geto Pia (or Geto Kogen) in Iwate-ken is fully open and will be for quite sometime. Night skiing is open each evening. They currently have a 365cm base of snow. Looks like they will be open until mid or late May as usual.