Heard a lot about this place, but seeing as tho I come up from Kansai it's a bit of a trek to get to Niigata/Yuzawa region. Kagura seems to be good until mid May - I've read the reviews on this site of course, but anyone say whether it's worth it for April/May boarding? Thanku

Hi rach

Whether it's worth the long trip for you I don't know, but I really like the place. The snow usually keeps good well into late April up there (this year who knows?!) but it's one of my faves in that region.

... I like Kagura too.

I went there three time this year.

It was fun.

But this year... I don't know you can enjoy Kagura or not in Apr/May time...

[This message has been edited by Nat (edited 27 March 2002).]

They reckon they're gonna be open until mid-May. I think they have a few snow making machines up top and usually around Golden Week they use them with the small remains of real snow right at the top - just a fairly small part remains open then.....we shall see.

I really doubt they will be able to be open until then, what with the current and continued rain/spring weather that is all around us. It will be pretty pitiful if they are still open then. Maybe they will charge us for going!! Haha

Tashiro Kagura Mitsumata is always so strange. In the parking lot it can be a sunny 20 degrees and by the time the ropeway gets you to the slopes it is a snowy 0-5 degrees. I always have liked this place for late season skiing. I go to Tohoku (Iwate & Aomori) for Golden Week, but always can get in at least one more weekend after that at this place.

Quote:
Originally posted by oo:

I really doubt they will be able to be open until then, what with the current and continued rain/spring weather that is all around us. It will be pretty pitiful if they are still open then. Maybe they will charge us for going!! Haha

Saturday morning sucked as it was raining in the Kagura parking lot. We waited in the car until noon and bought half-day tickets instead of a full-day. Took the ropeway up and then the fog was a major hazard on the Mitsumata side of things.

We then skiied to the Kagura gondola, got to the top only to find out that the connecting runs and lifts we needed to ski to Tashiro were closed due to high winds.

Finally, around 3pm...the skies cleared the entire complex opened and it was great skiing. There is enough snow. No dirt or rocks anywhere. It was great at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally posted by oo:

I will be going up there either tomorrow or Wednesday, so will let you know what the conditions are like on return.

I went to Tashiro Kagura yesterday. It is not as good as it usually is round this time - for early April and for Kagura the snow is not good. But it is much better than anywhere round town level and the best you will get in this region. Still quite a bit around, but again, not much compared to a "normal" year.

We used the Tashiro Gondola to get there, but I really prefer getting to Kagura via Mitsumata. The lifts at Tash all seem slow, and the runs in that part aren't really exciting at all. The best part of the resort is at the top of Kagura which has a few nice runs.

Sorry this is a bit late. Had a good day, conditions were so-so (usually better than they were at this time of year), but acceptable. As someone else said, hardly anyone around at all - so few people. Saw Dragondola but didnt try it....tashiro always seems so slooooooooooow to me. Stick to Mitsumata/Kagura is the best bet I reckon.

Off for the weekend now - see ya

It's about the only place worth going now in Niigata (apart from ARAI over in the Joetsu/Myoko region). Snow is not terrible, but definitely worse than an average year at this time of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Supposedly Mitsumata / Tashiro / Naeba are all now closed. All that is left is some snow on the top of Kagura where they hope to be open until next week.