...hanami

...and the prospect of sitting under the cherry blossoms in a crowded park "enjoying yourself".

All seems so tedious to me.

There's sakura trees at the bottom of the street where parents live. I spent the first 18 years of my life there and didn't notice them till last year when I was home at the right time.

In case anyone is interested, the sakura zensen hits Gateshead in late May. It's bleak up North, I'm tellin' ya!

When my folks came in a state of heightened anticipation for Japan's blossom season they were bitterly disappointed - especially by Maruyama Koen in Kyoto where the aroma of blossoms was quite overwhelmed by the stench of regurgitated sake. Charmed I'm sure. (Could THAT be the REAL Japan??)

I went to Murayama park last year and was struck by the sublime beauty of the petals floating as if they were pink snowflakes in the wind. My mood was heightened more still with the dulcet tones of people cranking out tunes on portable karaoke players and the pitter patter sound of university saki neckers chundering into the carp pond. I think hanami is classic-the bloosoms represent the transience of life and people celebrate by cutting loose and getting pissed. Why not?

It's generally a happy time for carp. They get a good feed, enjoy some second hand sake, and are also quite delighted by the cherry trees.

Talking about the transience of life, I'm reminded of a Japanese cartoon I saw a while ago. Middle-aged woman is walking with mother-in-law through cherry blossom park. m-in-l remarks that at 70, blossoms represent the transience of life; daughter-in-law brightens. M-in-l then says 'And just think, I have another 30 cherry blossom seasons to go'; d-in-l totally dejected.

• 3 weeks later...