Any Australians of NZers out there who might be able to tel us about the wonders of skiing down there when we are all boiling up here. I am thinking of going to visit a friend who lives in Sydney for a few weeks over Japan summer holiday and it would be ace to be able to go skiing down there. Any tips?

Good idea Rajeem. Who can handle The summer here? Last year I took a small group of locals to Mt.Hotham in OZ and had a great time. 5 days of Blizzards but the good stuff comes with those conditions. NZ is pretty well recognized as a snow destination, but OZ isn't (not internationally) so I can reccomend as a variation from the North Am./Euro scene. Last year suffered from the same problem as Japan this season - unusually too warm. BUT, hey 2 years in a row. The big resorts in OZ are wide, with all terrain catered and off piste pretty much the norm. Too much to say here, so just check out this great site to get the low- down on the ho-down.

http://www.ski.com.au/

or simply punch in "sno-info". I'm planning to go again in August (The best month). If anyones interested, drop a line. Bewdy!

I spent 4 seasons at Perisher Blue Cow, a resort about 7 hours drive west of Sydney. When there is good snow, it is just beaut. More often than not though, the season is not crash hot and snowmaking abounds. Patrol are pretty relaxed, so long as you don't go out of bounds, they take a she'll be right attitude.

Threadbo which is quite nearby to Perisher rates highly too, but tends to be better later in the season (September-ish). Best thing to do if money is an issue is to stay in Jindabyne (Jindy to the locals) and commute up to the slopes - not very far and there is more of a night life in town. If money is not an issue, stay at the Novotel Lake Crackenback - lovely cabin accomodation with open fire places and easy snow access.

A lot of people swear by Mt Hotham and Mt Buller (in Victoria, closer to Melbourne). I haven't been there myself, so no comment.

Try and avoid school holidays in September, otherwise there are a million schoolkiddies just dying to get in your way and who have attitude galore when they take you out and it is their fault! Skiing is probably still more popular, but boarding is definitely on the increase.

I hear amazing things about NZ, am off there to check it out this season - love to hear comments on the South Island resorts.

Have fun!

Mogski is sometimes person of few words.

I beleive actions speak louder than words.

Therefore for all you who want info on NZ check out this place

http://www.nzski.com/nzskicom/

Or run search on the forum for some stuff on NZ I posted on a similar topic a while back.

GO AND YEE WILL FIND smile.gif

[This message has been edited by mogski (edited 03 April 2002).]

I don't know what what sort of car Belle was driving, but you can be in Perisher in 4.5 hours if you drive late at night, and the Snowy mountains are NOT west of Sydney(thats the Blue Mountains,which doesn't get snow)it is more south,and to clear up another point,Thredbo,is lower than Perisher, and it is not very often that good in Sept.,but when Thredders is top to bottom, it is the BEST mountain in Aus.by far,so with those few points cleared up, I hope that you never have to represent me in court Belle

Klaus, my learned friend - I stand corrected on a few points.

I am not from Sydney so I am the first to admit that my geographical knowledge of the roads and driving times is imprecise. I was based in Canberra whereupon it is only a 2.2hr drive to Perisher or Threadbo. That said, if you leave early morning from Sydney it takes a hell of a lot longer, so yes, leaving at night is quicker. But as most people tend to drive at bloody stupid speeds killing the kangaroos and the wombats on the roads at night, a slower speed around 90kmph is not unreasonable even if it results in a longer drive.

In the 4 seasons that I spent at Perisher with trips to Threadbo, the September snow was the best. It may well have been otherwise in your times there, that's the way it goes eh? And I would most certainly agree that when Threadbo is top to bottom, it is absolutely awesome.

No need to get narky now, mate.

Belle

ps - 1979 VW golf if you must know.

There is a thread here somewhere discussing the NZ season and resorts. Try looking at this site nzsnowboarder.nzl.com/ it has detailed info. For an outsiders perspective have a look at the latest issue of Onboard or last months(I think) Transworld snowboarding-both have articles on NZ and how it stacks up against European/Nth American resorts.

Check the address above or do a web search-maybe 40 odd in NZ alone-plenty of choice and worth it just to leave the summer hell behind even if it isn't an epic snow year.

• 2 weeks later...