I would have to say no, but this is coming from a skier. I think they are both a bit unnatural in a way, but I just feel that being able to completely face downhill and look straight forward clicks more in the brain than being sideways - that is unless you are one of the many snowboarders that I see facing straight downhill and scraping all the powder away and taking the tops off the moguls!

I found snowboarding to be more intuitive to pick up than skiing. I progressed much faster.

However, I agree with the above post about direction of travel. There is something unnatural about facing sideways, and I dont like it.

Obviously both are unnatural though, as we aren't born with huge flat things attached to our feet.

I think this post is hard to answer because 'natural' is a very difficult word to define.

I agree that this is really hard to answer and I wanted to add to my post above.

I surf quite often - my other passion - In surfing the stand is the same as snowboarding. I've also snowboarded a few times. The thing is, with surfing I have no fear of going frontside where in snowboarding I had a hell of a time doing so. However, I couldn't even fathom trying to ride my surfboard standing in a forward position. In my mind, they are all completely different sports - skiing-surfing-snowboarding - and they all have their 'natural' stances.

Which is more Natural? Hard to say, but I think the equipment dictates what is the most natural positon to ride it in. Even trying to discuss how 'fluid' something looks is tough - They all look fluid if you are doing it right and are loose and having fun.

My two cents at least

The boarders engaged in mogul removal are acting on orders from Ocean11. Let them be.

This is a completely daft subject if I may say so, but I'll add to it anyway. The boarding stance comes naturally - it's the same stance used for many activities, for example fighting, driving screws into walls and forcing your way to a packed bar.

Good boarders aren't going 'sideways' anyway. Their upper bodies are pointing almost directly down the fall line, and their knees are bent to allow the body to twist.

It's also natural for boardwear makers to come out with waterproof denim snowboarding trousers, whereas it would be against nature for a similar development in skiing.

It certainly seems that way to me. I had a terribly not-fun time trying to ski, but snowboarding seemed much more natural - even though I was no good at that to begin with either.

Tele was the original way to walk around on the snow - as depicted in the oldest petrigriph of skiers in a cave of Telemark region of Norway. "Natual" probably has as many definition as there are people. As a telemarker, alpine skier, snowborder, my feelings is that all are natual, but each has its own subtle differences. But as far as mobility goes, tele really wins and board loses miserably, alpine in somewhere in between. I'd really recommend that you to experience all before you reach your own conclusions.

you`ve really done it this time ocey. your post on 5th. april is nothin but tripe.

this is a very valid topic, not daft. then again, the winter olympics were daft too weren`t they?

good boarders aren`t facing directly down the fall line at all. their boards may point down the hill in between turns but thats about where it ends.

and we don`t bend our knees to enable our bodies to twist. we bend our knees to absorb the terrain. i know why you bend your knees-for going down no doubt!

all coaching manuals and ski schools around the world teach the importance of keeping the shoulders parallel with the board- NOT at right angles to it, like you suggest.

now for the last time ocey, do us all a favor!

"now for the last time ocey" Is that a promise? I don't spek little maggots like yourself know how to keep promises though...

Very valid topic this, very. Somebody give 'bollocksocey' his goat back...

Well, I have to agree with you 'bollocksocey', that it would be very painful going down the whole hill with legs locked straight. But then bending them, also orients your body downhill if your front binding is set forward. Oddly serendipitous that bending your knees can achieve two useful purposes at the same time, wouldn't you agree 'bollocksocey'?

And since we're being picky 'bollocksocey', I'd hazard a guess that the ski schools around the world probably aren't bothering themselves about where boarders have their shoulders. It's kinda odd what you say, because in the movies I just looked at, most of the dudes are going down the fall line, with their shoulders more across the board than along the board, but I guess they're just crap boarding instructors.

"their boards may point down the hill in between turns but thats about where it ends." hahahahahahaha, snort. Makes you wonder why they bother putting resorts on hills at all.

Huckwit.

thats just your trouble, you watch too many movies.even called yaself aftaer a movie, how original.

bending your knees alone doesn`t "orient" your body downhill, its the rotation of the upper body. over rotation leads to over exagerated turns, which is WHY ski schools teach students to keep their shoulders parallel with their board. and what if your front binding is set at right angles or even duck, and not forward like you mentioned, what then hu?

and yes, it`s only in between turns that you find your board pointing DOWN the fall line. at other times it`s pointing ACROSS it at varying angles. otherwise you would reach mach speeds and maybe hit a snocat- imagine that-you tosser, sorry, right ROYAL tosser.

miteyak, I mean purely as in not much good for anything beyond going downhill.

Well, 'bollocksocey', I see you can't take what you like to dish out with any equanimity at all - you're speling is geting worse. Funny that somebody who has named herself after me should be complaining about what I call myself, eh 'bollocksocey'? Very original. And the handle comes from a song by Desmond Dekker, not from either of the films you mention. But I wouldn't expect someone who can barely write herself to notice there's no apostrophe s in there.

"and what if your front binding is set at right angles or even duck, and not forward like you mentioned, what then hu?" That would be different then, wouldn't it. Go and look up "if" in the dictionary.

Bile building up nicely?

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 09 April 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 10 April 2002).]

thanks for tha english lesson ocey, much appreciated.

given up on tryin to debate logic and bio mechanics hav ya? i was kinda hopin` you could help me out with your THEORY from tha previous post which stated somthin about ya front foot pointin forward????typical though from you, when you run out o` ammo you change tha subjuct. just like so many previous posts.

if your out of your league in the knowledge stakes just admit it, after all, you`ve only been ridin a few years and you are gettin on a bit. which probly explains why most o` your ramblings are the result of endless hours watchin videos.

bile? no probs here mayte. i`m tippin there`s a bit on your keyboard though from saying the words as you write them.

gee, i ope me spelin woz awrite dis tym. i`d hate ta make a mistake with tha lyks of ocey keepin an eye on me.

for tha last and final time, do us all a favor.

I s'pose we should be grateful that you've actually posted something relevant to snowboarding.

Since we're on topic at last, how many years have you been boarding 'bollocksocey'?

How old are you (I can guess...)?

Your front foot points which way - surely not...backwards? Unorthodox, that.

Well, next season, my third, I'll be looking out for you as head sideways across the hill, expertly, with your toes pointing in. Personally, I'll be going down the fall line and facing obliquely down the mountain.

See ya next week, Nobody. Who will you be then I wonder? Got some serious work to do now...

ohhhh, if you must know. but i`ll only tell you this if you promise to bug off forever.

i`ve been riding since 1989 and i`m 31 years young.

NOW,,,,BUG OFF!

hey....

how 'bout that weather...

crazy stuff... huh...

boy, seems like the heat is really gettin to some of us in here...

go ride a bike or something...CHILL OUT

danz

• 5 months later...

Me and my mates here in London have been checking out this site ever since seeing it in a mag over here. Good stuff, and we're impressed with the level of discussion on here instead of the dross that you often find.

OK, enough of that - anyone care to buy me a plane ticket to Japan for January?

cheers mates