Hi everyone,

This is a great site!! I'm going to Japan in June, and am wondering how the newschool ski scene is over there. I'll be living in Kyoto, are there any good hills nearby for parks or just good natural hits? Also, how tolerant are the Japanese to building jumps? (is there much backcountry for this at your average mountain?) Do many of the indoor ski hills have parks?

Thanks, Dan

How come when somebody invents a 'new sport' or a 'new style', they call it something that means nothing. Take 'freestyle' and 'free riding' as examples. How undescriptive can you get? Even 'trick' doesn't explain much.

Hi dane, to answer your question, there's probably not much you would call 'good' around Kyoto. Biwako Valley is probably the nearest ski place, and it's pretty lame. Although the mountains around Kyoto and Shiga get a fair deal of snow, most of the terrain is highly wooded.

Have a look at some of the 'backcountry' threads on this site to find out about that side of things here.

Doesn't newschool just mean moguls and aerials?

The former's pretty big here, with most of the decent size ski resorts having a proper mogul course with jumps. Lots of amateur competitions too, if you keep you eyes open. Japan's got two top ten lady mogulers, so they get plenty of attention. As for the regular pistes, a good number of the steepest courses in Japan are ungroomed, which usually means moguls if it hasn't just snowed.

In a lot of places, they let skiers in the park and pipe, but you could always ring first to check. I'd also check first if you want to build a kicker on course. A lot of patrollers will come and destroy your handiwork. You might be better off at a smaller resort where they're more grateful for your custom and the rules are easier to bend.

Dunno much about aerials, but there are water jumps for summer practice in a couple of places in Nagano. One is just south of Hakuba at Lake Aoki.