Tateyama Alpen Route - snow wall....

Yeah, they were doing it on the news tonight. 16 meters is rather low apparently. The Asahi Shinbun had a picture taken from a helicopter of the heavy machinery carving out the road. Some beautiful backcountry, none of which you can see over 16 meters of snow wall! Like to've got up there with my board.

A month or two backcountry still left up there, for those of you worried you missed it. As for getting there, for those in the east, you can go from Kurobe dam by trollley bus/cable car, etc. It's near Omachi in Nagano. Can get a bus to the start from Omachi station, or a ten km drive from Omachi. As for the Toyama approach, I think you go from Tateyama station. You can drive to there, but it's public transport to the top.

This place is an awesome site. If you get out of your vehicle in the middle of it on a bright blue sky day, amazing feeling. Kinda creepy even. Definitely recommended.

I went for a walk up near Ogimachi today. It's the end of the road on the Nagano side. I was only out a couple of hours, but I met some skiers who said they'd been down from the top of Harinoki, one of the lower peaks (2000 and a bit) around there. They said that conditions were still pretty good, and that the snow was soft enough to get up to the top without crampons. If you're going from the Nagano side, you can hike up there without using any of the expensive public transport that gets you out to Murodo, the main backcountry area. The Ogimachi car park was full of cars from far and wide, so quite a few people must have been out.

Time to go is about now till mid-June, but the snow will melt away farely fast this year. But if you like the powder, go at the end of November when they close down the alpine route. This is typically marks the beginning of the season for many skiers and borders. It is lika a morning rush hour in Tokyo with people dressed in ski/board outfit. Even you do not have a car you can still approach from Ohmachi station using all pub. transportations.

• 1 month later...