Great article. Best thing Peter Murphy's done since "Bela Legosi's Dead".

(sorry, couldn't resist - great tune)

Anyway, I tried looking for resort info on Iwanai on the Resorts section but couldn't find it despite trying a few different variations of the name. I'm interested in how much snow falls there as the old (Japanese) gelende guide book I've got from the 00-01 season has very low snowfall figures for the place. However, it's down as having 600m of vert and a max length of 3.2km, which would make it steepish on the whole for a Japanese resort. On the course map, there are lots of interesting-looking clumps of trees, so if the snowfall is half-decent, it looks deffo worth a go.

Who is Bela LEGosi? I must be going senile eek.gif

Thanks for the reply. The book I've got has it down for 70cm in December and a metre in January. Living near (but not in) Hakuba, I know how much the snowfall can differ in a relatively short distance, but those figures still strike me as dubious.

He's the bloodsucking monster made all of Scandinavian plastic blocks.

"The bats have left the bell-tower, the virgins have been bled, red blocks line the black box..."

Boarding in sight of the sea seems like an unnatural but groovy thing to do. The no patrol 'weak-point' seems like a good thing to me.

Access to Iwanai in winter could be long. you either have to go around the Niseko range around west (Rankoshi) or North (Kotohira). From Kuchan, it would take about 1-1.5 hrs. I typically do not go there, unless pows are gone from all the places around Niseko including Chise, Moiwa, Weiss.

BTW have you heard of Asahigaoka? It is in Kuchan, 2 lifts and 2 Nordic jump ramps.