Why is Hakuba 47 called Hakuba 47...anyone know?

Would be interesting to know the thinking behind that. Do they have much going on out of winter season? Even if they do, surely it's only going to count for a real small % of their annual business and nothing compared to the winter?

If you look at the current version of their homepage (go on, have a go, it won't hurt, the link's in my earlier post), you'll see that they don't have much to say about other seasons, at least not at the moment. Compare that with other resort websites that all year round make it clear that there's things to do besides winter, and then you'll really begin to wonder why they named it '47'.

But that's typical of Japanese businesses anyway - start off with a 'concept' that is barely viable even on the face of it, and then fail to follow through while still clinging to the concept and making it the first thing you see when you visit the homepage.

I went today as it happens. Managed to squeeze another notch on the season ticket. The courses were looking a bit sad, but all the greenery was out in force. Unlike yesterday, glorious weather, but some kids were still wearing their winter gear with layers visible underneath. Some people just mustn't sweat.

Some parts of the courses were closed, but they had some diggers and catapillar dump trucks that were taking snow from different areas and plonking it on the bald bits. It's the holidays proper from tomorrow, so I'm sure there'll be a lot of people out. Unlike Happo, you can still get from top to bottom, which I reckon is due to the bottom of Route 1 being in the shade. Even when it snows loads, that part soon gets icy.

As for what's available out of the winter season, a skateboard halfpipe has appeared at the bottom. At some point the lifts start going again and you can do mountain biking and hiking, though Iwatake is more famous for the former and Happo more famous for the latter. There's paragliding over on the Goryu side on the slope where that nice webcam was, and up at Tsugaike. At the moment though, with the rivers going like the clappers, it could be time to jump in a canoe or raft.