Aren't nightaz, cold, crunchy, and miserable?

I find winter nights generally unpleasant, unless spent in front of a stove with some sake.

But if you can make a good case for nightaz, it might be a good way to increase boarding time.

How much are they generally, for how many hours?

I prefer nighta because it is cooler so I don't get all sweaty and the sun doesnt get in my eyes. Also, there are less people at night. Its amazing when the snow is falling heavily and is lit up by the floodlights. Then driving home at 11pm...ah...

Here in Australia we have night riding one or two nights a week. It isn't worth it over here though. Only a very small part of the mountain is open and that is the part that sees the most action during the day, thus the snow quality is pretty poor. It is normally very cold and the snow is icy and rock hard. Not very pleasent, i have done it twice over here but wont do it again.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the night riding in Japan this season. Should be good!!!

yeah, nightas wwrrrrroock!!!

well, they can if ya get tha right conditions. zebedee & talisker got it right when they described it. i remember one special evening in hokkaido, when me and one other buddy went out and tha rest of tha crew stayed home. we rode our absolute nuts off! after doin` a few turns, you`d turn back and see all tha colours in tha rainbow just lingering in tha lights. there wasn`t a breath of wind and it had snowed all day, so there was still plenty of fresh around. we rode til last lift and were so amped, that when we got back to tha lodge, we couldn`t get tha smirks off our faces even if we tried. everyone was that jealous of us that they took it easy tha next day so they could enjoy tha nighta, but it just wasn`t tha same. \:\(

i also like riding in tha trees at night for a challenge. bcos tha trees aren`t lit up like tha groomers, getting in among them at night can really get tha pulse racing and for some reason it feels like you`re goin faster when in reality you`re probly not.

so yeah, nightas wwrrrrroock!!!

I'm not a big night boarding fan. Most of the ski-areas around here stay open until 10PM but I usually head home before sundown. That's not to say I haven't had plenty of fun on occasion. I just prefer the open to early afternoon shift to the early afternoon to close. But I know a lot of people that are the total opposite.

nightas are mad.... specially off-piste throught the trees!!! certain places in niseko where it is possible..... really gets you buzzin!!! actually find it easier to see the undulations in the snow... anyone else found this??

Love the freakin` nighta - that`s allz I used to do in Wisconsin - there is nobody around, and you can often get fresh snow, because If it snows in the daytime, most people just hole up at home. Plus, yeah, it`s colder and so the snow is better, plus you can get drink beers and go riding without the sun beating down on you - drinking and riding during the day gives me a headache. mad.gif

that is so right about tha beer- but only a little bit now, ya hear?

tha place i was talkin about in an earlier post was ONNE(?) trees. top of alpen chair,cut under tha chair, cut hard skiers right, duck under tha rope and bob`s yar uncle! heaps of drop- offs and natural hits everywhere. on a perfect night in there you can actually hear peeps talking on the chairlift across tha way. spent one night up there with a certain female professional who frequents tha place a bit. she arrived in niseko about 5 in the afternoon from a cuppla connecting flights fron austria, padded up, strapped in and hit tha place like she knew it like tha back o` her hand.

Sweet night riding with decent snow!

im with drew theres no way i'll ever pay for a night pass here in Australia cause the snow is crap house!?

i dont even like the thought of it!

It would be all Icey and Ouchies to fall on and crusty snow...

HANGING For night snowboarding and the gondalas in NISEKO \:D \:D \:D

enderzero ol` son, wasn`t tha bit about tha beer was it?? nah seriously, if you get a chance, do it my friend. you will not regret it!

one more thing i will say about nightas is that you never know what tha conditions are gonna be like up tha hill when you`re at tha base. so while things may appear all good at tha base, it could be a whole different matter up there. BUT, even if conditions are less that ideal, stick it out for a bit bcos conditions can change in an instant.

as tha saying goes: "only a fool predicts tha weather in the mountains"

hey, snofreik and gal, heres tha challenge:- when yar takin tha gondola, see if yas can get all yar clothes off and back on again before ya reach tha top. this is bound to make your nighta a more memorable one for sure!!! :p (it`s been done, but only just made it mind you- good luck)