• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im pretty sure if i crash into a tree i want to do it with my helmet on. i may injure myself but im pretty sure im less likely to die of a head injury. Helmets dont stop you injuring yourself, they help stop you killing yourself.

Oh yes... (cuts right to the heart of freedom of choice...)

If a helmet is worn for the reasons you give, Ocean11, I have no problem whatsoever. It would be a bit like ranting against knee pads or wrist guards. When 'rad' riders start proclaiming that helmets save lives (no scientific evidence to support it) obnoxious vote grabbing pols get their hands on the idea, and before you know it...

Mind you, what can one expect... the North American contingents on the board wear helmets to play footballl! and as for the Aussies, helmets for a peddle down to the brook for some tea and a skinnydip!!! ;\)

So Miteyak, you gotta admit there is a breaking point somewhere. I am not arguing for or against the acceptance of helmets, and I agree with your point that if something only has little or no impact it should not be so touted. But do you agree that there is such a thing as a point where a helmet would save a life from a head injury that would kill? It may be that this is a small threshold, but just to be acadmeic I think it does exist somewhere.