• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Ill finally be able to do some serious backcountry this winter Im definitely going to get a helmet. Do you have any recommendations for a good helmet? Id also like to be able to get some headphones put in for my MD player. Ive seen people who just shoved them in the ear flaps or something like that. Help!! cool.gif

deebee

Face it, not everyones into crazy snow tricks and backcountry whatever.

Some people (well actually the big majority) just enjoy sticking to the slopes and having a good time there. And the vast majority of them don't wear helmets.

I shouldn't comment at all. I am yet to snowboard at all! (In fact the last time I had anything strapped to my feet was 12 years ago). My response was more a crack at the hair comment.

I am seriously contemplating a lid as I have in my mind myself falling at speed onto my bum then the back of my head snapping back and cracking the ground.

In my shopping I have found that ski specific shops sell a much better range of helmets than boarding shops. The ski shops are also alot more quite and uncrowded and all round more pleasant to browse for goggles and helmets in. Plus they are without the omnipresent R&B / gangster shit music (personal opinion... getting off the topic).

Helmets are great and style matters etc. are no longer an issue.

I personally have stayed very far away from the Salomon lids as they make me look like a match stick!

Interesting... I believe I recall that places bringing in mandatory cycle helmet laws have often ended up with higher rates of accidents, if less head trauma related.

I'm a firm believer that the more you wrap yourself up, the braver you feel, the crazier you ride. Padding aids your fearlessness, but may impede your clarity of thought, dull ones senses and does nothing for your level of skill. As this report indicates, protection at the extreme sports level is fairly superficial, so the added security one feels can be life-threatening in itself.

I think they are a good idea. Its easier than you think to sustain a head injury. begginers are usually moving slower than experieced skiers and boarders so if you are a learner perhaps you can get away with not wearing one but you'll definately belt your head several times while learning. A helmet will make your learn to ride experience more enjoyable.

Dont underestimate the risk of being hit by another skier or boarder. Even though it is the responsibility of the uphill rider to avoid hitting you if you are a learner theres a better chance of getting collected.

Anyone whos riding at a higher level probably knows for themselves whether they need a brain bucket or not. I never board without mine.

for the next AU season, I am seriously considering getting a helmet.

I had a few big stacks this season, and gave myself a few seconds time out on more than one occasion on a black run eek.gif

I have also noticed that a lot of the hardcore boarders who 2 years weren't wearing helmets are now wearing them.

I have a Giro Flint and I hear alot of people say "nice helmet" or "if i get a helmet, i want one like that" The Red (Burton) Skycap gets alot of style points as well. I think that people should do whatever makes them feel comfortable, but I hate to see people (kids) especially not wearing helmets because they think it will make them uncool. I have knocked myself out a few times, but not since I`ve been wearing a dome.

I see the issue of safety on the hill alot like driving - even if you are a totally confident skier or rider, you can never count on the same from other people. you never know when some fool is going to crack into you.

Did anyone read the report. Helmets should be banned from resorts. Little kids' helmets (and the little schniders wearing them) were actually responsible for some resort deaths!!! Natuaral selection would have been allowed to do it's job if they'd not been wrapped in ironclad cotton wool!

what report's that then?

alot of bull is talked about helmets causing more injuries to the head, neck, bystanders, lawyers bank balances etc etc but none of it is backed up with real evidence.

i agree skiing and snowboarding are like driving - neither are inherently dangerous - its some of the loons on the slopes who put themselves and occasionally others at risk.

certainly, we ski doctors see a greater % of helmets on injured people than on the general slope population - could this indicate that it gives people an air of invincibility? possibly.

any thoughts? eek.gif