It is reputed as being the most snowboard friendly resort in the world.

A lot of that may well be marketing.

They have a very new radical hotel called Riders Palace that is 'designed for the snow boarder'. It looked like a hardcore gimmick to me.

On the half pipe front I read that they have 4... one of which is the largest in the world.

220km groomed trails, almost limitless freeride terrain, 1,950m vertical.

I am going by myself, I hope I don't get bored. Yeah right, fat chance.

Well, yes and no. I'd love to be able to ride somewhere as wide and varied as that, and visit different little towns every evening.

But the other point is that for something somewhat resembling that sort of European resort, Nozawa is probably as close as you'll get in Japan.

Definitely jealous though. Come on Japan, let's have some scale appropriate to the size of the country! It's not just a poxy little island y'know!

Cliff jumps - I have a habit of doing silly things that I shouldnt so I am sure I will try quite a few cliff jumps.

Crap - I am told it is germanic swiss (or something like that) for mountain or big rock.

It is great to swear like this and be legitimate. Crap crap crap crap crap.

It is a little silly me going, being my foirst season and what not, but I will be there for work so why the hell not take a little holiday. It seems like a bit of a waste of all the great snow back in Japan.

By the way, I am almost nauseous with excitement.

Been to Verbier two years ago. Without a doubt the best riding of my life! Especially when I managed to hook up with a few guys who were there for the whole season to show me around.. Although riding here CAN be good, comparing to Switzerland in terms of terrain makes no sense - two very different things..

But, as going to Swiss Alps is not an option this winter, I'm very much looking forward to the first turns of the season here, along with lots of pow and those nasty patrol guys chasing me for riding the trees!! ;\)

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..."

yo deebee! bring me some japanese gimmicks when u come to switzerland/laax! \:\) that'd B cool. laax is definitly one of the best places round! or visit davos at new year ( big party / great snowboard contest )