Skis have been step in for a very long time. You have a lug or cleat on the boot that fits into a latch on the ski binding. So you just step into it and you're in. You release your boot with a lever.

With snowboards, the binding originally had two straps that you usually sit down to do up. Step ins, with a similar idea to ski bindings but different embodiments, were developed for snowboarding.

Switch uses rails on the side of the boot, Burton uses grooves, Kissmark uses lugs, and Clicker uses a cleat under the boot. There are other systems too.

Hybrid systems like Flow use a combination of straps but allow the same speed as setpins.

Step ins have their strong adherents, and also people who say they're not as good strap ons. I rather fancy step ins myself.

What about the boot. Besides the thingies that attach to the step in mechanism, is the step-in boot much different from the stap in boot?

Can a SI boot be used in a strap binding?

Why does my neighbors dog bark at anight?

Step in boots often have an extra strap over the ankle.

You might just be able to get away with wearing Burtons and some of the other types with strap bindings, but things like Clickers and Switch wouldn't fit. An interesting question, because the only type of boot that fits me here is a DJ Honda boot for Fast step ins. But Fast look well dodgy, and I very nearly bought the boot to ride with my horrible strap bindings :rolleyes: Probably not recommended...

Oh, and your neighbour's dogs bark at night because you haven't trained them properly. Throw stones at them every time you pass, and invest in a slingshot. When they bark at night, fire ice cubes at them. Dogs are frightened by shattering ice cubes, and after a while, just the sound of the slap of the slingshot will send them cowering, quietly into their accommodation. It certainly did the job for the pykies' dog across the road...

Pykie is English slang for 'gypsy'. It's also sometimes used for people who generally live like gypsies, even if they're not actually Romanies.

The people who live across the road are sullen and unforthcoming. They live in a brokendown shack but have a new BMW. The males frequently urinate on the road in front of the house. The son wears his mother's slippers when he goes to the community onsen. They also have an unpredictable and undisciplined dog that comes dashing out from the shack barking at people (but not at me, oh no). They are, in short, complete pykies.

But their dog has been much better behaved since I got at it. I'm thinking of treating the males to the ice-cube discipline next. They'd make much better targets than the dog too.

But I'd highly recommend getting step-ins straight off. Save you a lot of sitting around getting a wet bum.

I dont think I have encountered the Pykie before. I shall keep my eyes open for them.

I am investigating either SI bindings or flow bindings. In the end I suppose it will be driven by the best fitting boot.

The dog next door doesnt actually bark. I just like asking that question. My dog just arrived in Tokyo and he doesnt bark either, but he cries when I keave him so I had to get a special collar that sprays citronela in his face everytime he makes a loud noise. It is cruel but best for the people that live around me (and therefore best for him in the end).

I like the sound of the ice cube trick.

Oohhhh, youre talking 'bout some boarding thang?! \:o

As for Snatch - a quality film, and Ive even heard lots of people from England saying Pitt was really good in it, but I prefer Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels better. Regardless, both are awesome flicks and if you havent seen them, youre missing out.