I'm new to all this, and was wondering if there are any resorts that are particularly good for complete beginners, and what I should be aiming for generally. I'm not really bothered about lessons, want to just go with friends and learn myself/from them.

Thanks

Ged

Theres a good place in Omachi (south of Hakuba) called Jigatake. It has a small number of runs and is popular with families. The crowds aren't huge, and there lots of people learning there. The staff are very friendly. Thats where I would go to learn.

You are in the same boat as me, I am also new to all this (well at least after a very very long break from it all).

Good luck!

Oh, your other post "can I expect pain" .... the first thing to hurt is your wallet.

You are in the same boat as me, I am also new to all this (well at least after a very very long break from it all).

Good luck!

Oh, your other post "can I expect pain" .... the first thing to hurt is your wallet.

Agreed. What you need for the first time is somwehere that won't put you off - other things will do that anyway! - so a nice uncrowded place with wide and gentle nice slopes. Luckily there are many places like that....depends on where you want to go and how far you want to travel.

Iwappara in Yuzawa is a great place to learn. Long very wide gentle slope in the middle of the place. That part of the place sucks if you want a challenge, head to the top if you want that (and the views).

I had my first run at Kirigamine, possibly the smallest field anywhere, which was good, then a first day out at Kita Shiga Ryuo - a nice place with some good long trails and courses for beginners.

Learning with a few other people around is good. You can watch how they're doing it, and learn the basics of getting out of other people's way from day one.

Goryu in the Hakuba area is supposed to be a good beginner area. I'm taking some friends who are beginners there this December. We're staying at the De'Laile Hotel, where the head chef has agreed to make us a turkey dinner for Christmas (I'm having it sent by the Foreign Buyers Club).