• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's snowboarding you're going to be learning, probably yes.

Many people say that your bum hurts the most, but I didn't find that. I found my left thumb took all the brunt of my falls, and it hurt for the first month almost constantly. Still, it didn't hurt as much as a broken wrist would have, something that some beginners experience.

My head hurt a lot from constantly banging it when I fell over.

The first few times, my chest ached like crazy from constantly prying myself off my back (while my board slid away from under me). The pain was excruciating.

You can avoid a lot of this if you;

- wear padded pants, or stuff a towel down there

- remember to make a fist when you fall (imagine yourself doing that before you go - it might help)

- wear a helmet

- do some backwards push-ups and maybe dips for a week before you go

Of course, you can ignore all that and go, and hurt, and still have a great time. That's what I did.

boarding hell yes!!

man i was killing after my 1st day soo bad i didnt wanna go back!

my legs my calves and thighs from going heal side or toe side down a mountain were very very very painful!

i had very very very bruised knees and same as ocean i had sore hands and thumbs from breaking my fall... i copped a couple of poundings on my tail bone too...

i advise strech really reayll well make sure ur fit and ready for it and by some wristguards!

\:D

yes, get some wristguards.

I found it surprisingly hard work on my muscles, especially as you spend most of the time trying to get on your feet from your arse.

You should really go to a gym a few times before you the season starts just to shape up a bit. That's what I am gonna be doing to get ready for my 2nd season here.

I remember my first day as a beginner skier. At the end of the day, all my muscles hurt a lot and it was difficult to sleep with all the pain. A twenty minute soak in the ofuro helped relax the muscles a bit.

I didn't know whether I could continue the next day, but I stuck with it and found that I didn't feel so bad at the end of that. The third day was better again and by the end of a week, I was feeling quite good. It was all great fun, especially after the first day.

So my experience was similar to Miff's except that snow boarding is much more demanding than skiing. Furthermore, I tried to do sports regularly in the month before I started, so as to be prepared. I think it's a good idea to follow the advice of Ocean 11 and be prepared.

Aint so bad. Maybe depends how old you are. Started by doing ten days straight in Hakuba. Hot springs a welcome relief, but if you're not passed your early 20's...no worries!!!

(oh, and assuming you're no stranger to excercise!)

So which is it going to be NTAT? Boarding or skiing? Maybe Deebee can help you decide.

Don't let all this talk of soreness get you down. You will definitely be sore. But it is a good kind of accomplished sore. And after 2 or 3 times it will be no problem. Completely and totally worth it.

It's kinda like one of those time-share deals. No one likes to sit through the informational seminar, but it is worth it for the free trip.

If you can, spend a couple of months pre-season doing circuit classes at a gym.

Spend a lot of time working on squats, lunges, cycling - all those exercises that build up leg muscles and stamina.

if your already fit just strech properly befor you go out on the slopes....

but when you get home yes soak in a bath with lavender oil in it (makes u relax) and strech out your muscles in the bath too....

remember to warm down so strech after your done too... helps a lot stops ur muscles from tensing up in one spot and helps them go back to normal...!

*believe me i have played catcher in softball for the past 10 years and i know the pain of not streching...!* \:D

One of the key places for start-of-season pain is the glutimus maximus, commonly known as the bum cheeks. To avoid unnescessary agony, 20 good clenches a day starting the week before riding can work wonders. This is not proof against bruising from falls, but is good for preventing muscle fatigue.