Oh, and Jackie Chan is the Kung Fu actor and he even recorded a few songs. But I think you are referring to Jackie Cheung who is a famous singer, even though he also did many movies and is, therefore, also an actor. Confusing?

Actually, Jacky Cheung had very humble beginnings. He was a reservations clerk for a local airline and worked in the same office as my sister. True story! I still remember the day many many moons back when my sister said her colleague had entered a certain singing contest which was famous as a launching pad for many past superstars. I said sarcastically:"Yeah, like fat chance some reservations clerk is going to have!" Boy was I wrong big time! My friends in the music industry commented about him that not only did he have a good voice and talent. He had a very professional attitude and always worked very hard to improve.

I had to add all this interesting stuff to keep our good friend, ender, going.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why all this chatter about me in my absence then? Is my 'name' deebee still causing gender confusion? I think I will change it to an old nick name of mine.

Actually, the full nickname is "Bam Bam can-of-spam ring-pull-can give-a-damn" and was bestowed on me by my great mate "Seed of Hay" There, that should clear up any confusion in this already confused thread.

Hi, to everyone. This is Markie, reporting live from the lobby of Rusutsu Resort. I got in last night. as scheduled. Did some nightas. Touched base with Carl,the piano man here. Did some more runs today and tried out all three mounts: East Mt, West Mt and Mt Isola. Had dinner with Carl and will now be going for another nighta.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Sunrise I thought you were a woman. Just the general vibe from your posts and what guy would call himself "sunrise" anyway?

slap slap markie!

By the way, Deebee/bambam I thought you were a woman too for a long time and Im not the only one!

But deebee, but how do we know that's really you? \:D

Zwelgen - nice to talk to another woman. I'm not surprised that you would pick up my gender in my writing yourself.....

Actually, Sunrise is short for Sunrise Music (my so-called business name). I guess the shortened version could easily be seen as feminine - yeh, probably no man would use that name.

But - how could anyone have thought deebee was a woman? He never struck me as a woman. Okay, folks - hands up here - who thought deebee was a woman? Please reply. Deebee, your name change has devasted me. Just when I thought I'd gotten to know someone's online personality he goes and changes his name. Now I have images of a little kid in a toga suit with a big club in his hand everytime I see your new name. It just doesn't fit the image that I had of the name deebee....... I guess that's why most folk prefer the book to the movie...... (okay, i know there are exceptions here)...

Zwelgen if I get my skiing chops up to the next level this season I should be qualified to come and join you off-piste on one of your days off (though maybe that will be next season....).

Hi, everybody. I just got back home safely after a few hectic days in Rusutsu. It's now 2:15 a.m. here in Hong Kong and I'm going to hit the sack but I just thought I'd better drop a line here so that every one can stop worrying about me. (ha ha, wishful thinking, right?)

Hey, db (I hope this is deebee I'm talking to), I reckon that by the end of the season, you will probably have been out (boarding) for more days than I have taken ski lift rides! I'm glad you know how lucky you are. That's one of the reasons why I frequent this forum...to live vicariously through your exploits and those of others. It helps to keep me going through some tedious days.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
...to live vicariously through your exploits and those of others. It helps to keep me going through some tedious days.
There are some things that I do that I am sure you wouldn't want to live live vicariously through me!!!

By the way, did you know that you can surf in Hong Kong? You should check it out.

Surf in Hong Kong? Trust me, it's not worth it. You have to wait for a long, long time to get a 4 footer. In any case, I can't surf...tried but never succeeded (on a board that is). Actually, believe it or not, I used to swim competitively in my school days, and actually served as a life-guard on a surf-beach in Wales for one Summer. I plucked two surfers from the choppy waters during that time, but ironically, I couldn't surf to save my life! I could surf in my canoe though, but that was incredibly easy, anyone could do that.

Ahh boys and girls...I see the thread continues even in my absence.

I have been fully aware that deebee was a "bloke" (heh - this forum has added all kinds of words to my vocabulary). But the confusion all came about when deebee first joined the forum. Before we had an accurate taste of his personality, the handle deebee brought to mind a feminine picture.

But...that was quickly replaced after a very short time. Anyway, as much as I like the symmetry of the "db", I think it is a little strange to change your handle. Oh, and I bet I know where "bam bam" comes from as well buddy (not that it is any kind of huge secret).

Damn Markie, I am glad you got to hit some snow, but that was pretty short. How did the gig go? Were you able to influence the management on any of our issues?

Greetings enderzero. Good to hear that you had a good time in Whistler. I had an awesome time too. I managed to brush up my technique a bit and was able to carve some nice railway tracks through the powder. I tried out all the green and blue runs and even did some blacks (the first time for me) including two moguls ("those silly bumps") and did some good crashes there.

Off the snow, also had a good time exploring the shops and the eateries around the resort. It's a really classy place and the people there are really nice...sort of makes our uncouth and noisy bunch from Hong Kong really stick out like sore thumbs. A friend of mine dropped her 4-day ski-pass on the second day (expensive) and then her whole wallet including muchos YY, $$ and cards the next day. On both occasions, a short trip to the reception and they were returned without any loss. That would never happen in Hong Kong.

Then meeting Carl, sunrise's friend, was also great fun.

I will be off to the Three Valleys, France, at the end of next month for a full week, but I doubt I'll have as much fun as this time.

So, ender, I'm afraid I didn't say much to their management other than: "Thanks for having me here!"

Hi, sunrise.

To answer your question, I suppose it's a "Yes". I have not contributed much to the discussion of music on the slopes because it has never been an issue with me. Firstly, they don't really blast it down the runs. Actually, it's only broadcast along the ski lifts and I don't really think it's all that bad. I doubt it will spoil your fun but you make your own judgement.

Then to answer some previous questions - there are "hanaseru Eigo no" ski instructors available but you have to book them in advance (one or at most two days notice is sufficient). If you haven't skied for some time, I suggest you use them, especially to show you around. I think you will find the runs on Mt Isola the most fun for an intermediate skier. They are long, wide and fairly steep "ma non troppo". In particular, there is a course called "Heavenly view"...the name says it all. However, if you aren't familar with the route, you may find it hard to find your way there.

Next, on the issue of protection(no not rubber, which is what I'm sure you guys are thinking). Carl said he didn't ski because he thought it wasn't worth the risk. I disagree but I did not debate this with him, but the risks are certainly there, so at least do your best to minimize it by: a) using wrist-guards and B) using padded gloves, the ones that not only keep your fingers warm but also protect your fingers from knocks and cuts. You should be alright with these. Both are on sale at the shops in the Resort in case you don't have time to get them before you get there.

Another bit of useful information - there is a Seicomart just across the road from the South Wing where you can get your daily stuff like chips or cream, etc.. For me, I must have Coke (too bad they still don't have Vanilla Coke yet). It's much cheaper there than in the convenience store in the hotel. Carl didn't know that the Seicomart existed there and I had to tell him! He didn't even know they had a swimming pool.

If you want to buy your own boots, you should do so before going but if you don't want to carry them, there is a ski shop next to the Seicomart I just mentioned. There are also two ski shops in the resort but I think they don't sell boots. Rented skis are O.K., but you really need to have your own boots.

Please apologize to Carl for me because I was so busy cramming in as much good time as I could on this short trip (db's burp!) that I didn't get the chance to say good-bye. Better still, give me his email address so I can do so myself and send him our pics. I left some music scores with him for you together with some egg rolls from Hong Kong. Enjoy!

P.S.

Whatever you do, do NOT try "Easy Trail" on East Mt. For one thing, you have to take an uncovered ski lift to get to its start and then you'll find its steepness is so gentle you have to "walk" a lot of the way. It takes almost as much time going down as going up. It's practically a teleskiing course.

I've been to Niseko, Sahoro and a small place near lake Toya. All round, Rusutsu is the best for the luxurious resort facilities. Niseko Prince Higashiyama is also very luxurious and as far as skiing goes, Niseko is the best. But for overall enjoyment, I choose Rusutsu.

What do you mean by doing a "gig". Don't confuse me with sunrise. I would love to be able to do gigs, but you need talent for that. No, my trip to France is just skiing, that's all and it's going to be a lot cheaper than going to Japan.

Well the way you were talking about having an agent book your trips and your knowledge of music I guess I just assumed you were doing the same thing as our good friend the lovely Ms. Sunrise.

...hey...I don't even read this thread.