Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
which you should never say to your wife or any other superior:"I told you so".
Wife = superior? I demand that they be at least my equal before they even have a chance of being my wife, and that is said from the point of view that it is the man who is socially expected to be the superior. The disequilibrium between men and women for so many centuries has made it really tough to find women who regularly beat men in career, education, determination etc making for a very limited range of women to marry. Why must I be the bread-winner? I am happy to earn as I do, but I would love it if my wife earned twice as much, was twice as clever and twice as driven.

I really resent what men have done to the status of women over the centuries. we have breed 50% of our population to be well below there greater potential. Really clever of us men... I think not.
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markie, I think I mentioned it in regards to womens boots and mens boots in an old thread awhile back.

I guess it didn't occur to me to state gender, after all, in most cases on this board what difference does it make ... I haven't noticed any men saying they're male either, though of course with some of the names, comments and photos that's fairly obvious.

Anyway, what's to apologise about... I'm just another skier on the block....

Well Markie, I hope you don't hold it against me...

diana krall... heh heh heh... if only my jazz piano was as good as hers!!!!

Hey, I wouldn't mind being as famous as her either!

deebee, I think it all sucks too - it creates a lot of pressure on both men and women the way we've been brought up.

I feel very uncomfortable at the thought of having a man being the breadwinner. I don't think I could ever live that way, as a 'kept' woman. Doesn't feel comfortable for me.

At the same time, as you say, society seems to be set up that way, since men in general tend to get higher wages than women for the same jobs which means I might wind up with a guy who earns more money than me, but that doesn't mean I'll want him to pay more than his share.

Also, on the other side of the coin, meeting men who will view me as an equal and not less isn't the most frequent occurence either. It's often lingering in the background even if it's up front.

Actually, I know it shouldn't make a difference but I know it does affect me psychologically. When socializing with guys its easy to joke around and just be friendly. But I tend to be more inhibitive when meeting girls. I have to try to be polite but not too friendly otherwise they might think I'm coming on to them. And I have to be careful with my jokes because most of my repetoire are of the vulgar genre and I don't want anyone to be offended.

And to help ender sleep, this is a true story:

A few years ago I was in Canuckland and a friend of mind who knew I was into piano invited me to have dinner together with her friend who was a member of the RCM, a pianist who also served as an examiner. Naturally I was enthusiastic about this expecting to meet a Caucasian guy in his forties because in all my previous piano exams, all the examiners were like that. In fact, it turned out to be a Chinese gal in her early 30s so I was surprised. Over dinner we talked a lot about music and her career in which I was very interested because I am easily impressed with musical talent. Well I think wide-eyed admiration was probably mistaken for something else because a few days later she had me having dinner with her mom and dad and from their reaction it was obvious they were treating me like their future son-in-law. And no, I hadn't slept with her. We hadn't even held hands up to this point or ever. After that, and many emails and telephone calls later, I think she got the message that she was the object of my admiration but not affection. Of course, I've been on the receiving end of that story too. I always hate hearing the line:"I like and admire you but can't we just be friends?"

Anyway ... to get back to my previous point, sunrise, you could start calling yourself 'Performer and Resort Music Consultant' or something, and try ever so nicely to raise the issue of what exactly your employers think they're doing playing canned music in the great outdoors. It might even work. (I agree with you that it would also be great if this site could have some impact in giving resorts a better idea of what at least one segment of their customers would really like.)

And Markie, I like and admire you, but can't we just be friends?

Quote:
Actually, I know it shouldn't make a difference but I know it does affect me psychologically. When socializing with guys its easy to joke around and just be friendly. But I tend to be more inhibitive when meeting girls. I have to try to be polite but not too friendly otherwise they might think I'm coming on to them. And I have to be careful with my jokes because most of my repetoire are of the vulgar genre and I don't want anyone to be offended.
I can see your point - and it goes both ways - I can have the same problem the other way round.

But don't worry, Markie, you can be as friendly as you like to me and I'll never think you're trying to come onto me, after all, I'm not Japanese ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Anyway ... to get back to my previous point, sunrise, you could start calling yourself 'Performer and Resort Music Consultant' or something, and try ever so nicely to raise the issue of what exactly your employers think they're doing playing canned music in the great outdoors. It might even work. (I agree with you that it would also be great if this site could have some impact in giving resorts a better idea of what at least one segment of their customers would really like.)
Hey, Ocean, I like that title, it's got a real official sounding ring to it. Maybe just 'Resort Music Consultant' would work even better as it's less words for the resort managers to get around. They're gonna be confused enough so let's confuse them as least as possible. I think I'll have enough time to get a meishi printed up before I leave. I'll probably have to think of getting a business suit as well, wow, how am I going to pack all that along with my ski gear and performing clothes...

Or even better, I could make a Snow Japan Resort Music Consultant (with Snow Japan's permission of course... cool.gif ) . It always looks better if you look like you're part of a big corporate establishment (okay SJ, I know, I know, so we're just exaggerating a little.....)

But, getting a bit more serious, I wonder what it really would take to convince these people that the hundreds of thousands of yen they've invested in having music playing on the slopes is actually a waste and they are better off trashing their equipment. Of course they can leave the speakers there for important announcements (ah, another pet peeve - that totally monotone female voice, sounding like she's a zombie echoing across the hills just when you think you have the slopes all to yourself.... )

Which brings me to another thing that I've never been able to get my head around here - and that's the 10 min mandatory break in the swimming pool every hour. My nihongo being lousy I can't understand what they're saying, but someone told me that apparently 'swimming is a dangerous sport'.... and that we must take a break every hour. Anyone elaborate on that one?

sunrise, I had a look at your website and some of your performing outfits. I think I like the white dress best. Personally I often go to work in my pajamas, which aren't nearly so stylish.

I think the deal with the swimming pool is this; they want to adjust the ph to kill the athletes foot microbes, so they flatter you that you're excercising like crazy and might die of it. Naturally you get out, buy a canned drink and smoke a few fags. Everybody wins really.

One of the advantages of writing for SJ is that I have a credential when I go and ask companies for two of their products gratis... I wonder what I should ask for next?

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:

But don't worry, Markie, you can be as friendly as you like to me and I'll never think you're trying to come onto me, after all, I'm not Japanese ;\)
Never? Even when we get really intimate?
 Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:

Glad you're enjoying this conversation Enderzero ... Hey - by the way, are you planning to come to Japan...
you bet your metronome he is. he is coming and will end the season eating boot.
 Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:
Boy this is an exciting thread ;\) I know what is going to be in here before I open it \:D
You see! I bet you didn't see THAT coming.
Stay tuned, I may be becoming a transvestite soon as the story develops.....
 Quote:
Never? Even when we get really intimate?[/QB]
Aha, you're trying to test me, but with a signature like yours I'm not in the least worried.... (though I'd say 'if' is more correct English than 'when'). Actually, I'm starting to get suspicious that your signature is a red herring and that you're actually secretly in love with Ocean, even though he only wants to be friends. I saw those tears...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
sunrise, I had a look at your website and some of your performing outfits. I think I like the white dress best. Personally I often go to work in my pajamas, which aren't nearly so stylish.
Ocean you crack me up! When are you going to write a book with that great dry English sense of humour of yours? Yeh, I know, you're probably going to tell me that you're not trying to be funny...

I wish I could wear pyjamas to work, but they mightn't let me into the venue with my slippers on. That's the nice thing about being a writer - you can wear anything to work and no-one cares....

Quote:
One of the advantages of writing for SJ is that I have a credential when I go and ask companies for two of their products gratis... I wonder what I should ask for next?
What's the next company?

As for the swimming pool thing - surely they put enough chlorine in there to kill off anything and everything? But you're probably right - that's obviously not enough. Either that or it's the only way the poor employees get a chance to take a dip during their long day....
 Quote:
Originally posted by enderzero:

Let me get this straight... sunrise is a woman... and DEEBEE IS A MAN?????????? \:D
No-one knows for sure, you just have to take our word for it.... Actually deebee's never stated his gender, but I always thought he was a man.

By the way, I caught up on the boot thread. Would you consider boots vegetarian food? Deebee, of course you know if you want him to eat boot you're gonna have to provide video evidence.

Markie - here's the latest snow update (finally I'm getting on topic again) - sorry, forgot to add it in the previous post to you:
I got an email from Carl timestamped 2.18pm and he says: "It's been a blizzard here since last night" Sounds like you're gonna get your snow.....

Fruity? Well it's certainly very rich, but yes, we call it dry (or at least I do). Maybe it's because of the dead-pan straight faced delivery.... I was in England in October working on a project there and the engineer had that same humour. Continually cracked me up! He was hilarious to work with. I find it refreshing, and I'm not usually in contact with it enough. Most of the foreigners I deal with here are North American/Canadian, and a few Aussies thrown in to boot....

American humour - it can be very very funny, but it's just not the same.... (no offence to any Americans)

Did you say blizzard? I guess it's another case of should be careful about what I wish for in case I get it....too much of it. I hope that clears up before I get there. I just hate skiing in windy conditions.

On the subject of wishes, I know my English isn't that good...been told too often already about that....However, concerning the difference between "if and when", this is my thread (topic starter) isn't it? I can write what I want and wish what I want and believe what I want, can't I? Furthermore, I feel it only fair to warn you (or any other femmes tuned in) that "not being Japanese" does not offer you TOTAL immunity from Markie, especially if you happen to be "drop dead gorgeous". ;\)

So I maintain that it definitely is "when" not "if".

Latest snow report:

morning email from Carl:

"Lots of new snow last night and this morning"

I don't know why the resort update isn't showing all this. I suspect the Rusutsu people are a little slow. (this would be out of SJ's juristiction - oops, spelling?).

Can't confirm if that means it's still blizzard or has calmed down.... How long will you be there for Markie? Looks like you're getting a good dump before you arrive.

Okay, you win, being female means I'm no longer immune from Markie - however, be warned, a little makeup goes a long way into enhancing one's appearance. Just ask anyone in hollywood. You can even try it yourself if you like, I'm sure you'll see how dramatic the difference can be....

By the way - going further off topic here - have you ever heard of Digital Cutup Lounge, in Hong Kong? One of the guys, John Von Seggern used to live in Tokyo - great bass player, then he scored a world tour with Jackie Chan (the singer, not the actor, have I spelt his name right?) and then he relocated to Hong Kong about 7 years ago. I worked with him a fair bit at one point. If you see him say hi from me.

At the risk of sounding a little misogynistic (excuse this filthy colonials spelling)

Why do woman wear perfume and make up?

Cos they smell bad and they're ugly.

I’m sure this doesn’t apply in this case though.

Thanks again for the snow update, sunrise. It seems the resort watch has indeed upgraded it to 120cm but it's still only "part open". Fortunately, I checked and saw it was only the advanced courses that are not open and all the beginner and intermediate runs are open. This should be fun.

I haven't heard of the Digital Cutup Lounge. It sounds so intimidating! I don't want any of my digits cup up. Maybe I'll look it up when I get back....if I gather up enough courage.

I will be returning on Thursday, 26th Dec.. It's a very short stay but it's all that my agent could book.....I got to change agents!

I'm looking up a few piano scores of Yukie Nishimura's compositions so that I can leave them with Carl for you. Not that she is very impressive or anything like that, I just thought you might like to try out her material out of curiosity.

Two more days and I'm there!