Just for your reference, doc, a one week package for me from Hong Kong including everything: Ski rentals, plane tickets, ground transport, food etc... usually sets me back by about US$2K. I went to Club Med once, and I think that was the most expensive, that was over 3K.

Doc, I set myself up from scratch this year. Perhaps this will give you a guide as to snowboard expense, all new and I believe to be good quality:

boots = 37000

bindings = 38000

jacket = 30000

pants = 16000

gloves = 7000 (half price)

goggles = 20000

helmet = 20000*

thermals = 2500 per set from uni qlo

fleeces = 1500 approx. from uni qlo

board = 20000 - 100000

socks = 2000 (wool/cashmere mix)

As for transport, accom. etc:

I just had my first w/e away to do a little recon. I stayed in a basic but nice pension. Including room, breaky and dinner, about 8000.

I went to a place in Niigata. Train from Tokyo station to the resort town about 16000 return. I live in Western Tokyo and it took me 3.5 hrs door to door.

Lift ticket = ?? They seem to be generally around 6000 per day... but I really dont know about them.

Suffice to say that the gear set up was expensive, so to is the shinkansen.

Jezzus, I just added that up... I must have been pissed for 6 weeks to have spent that much. Holy Moley!

*many helmets are only 10000 and they offer greater protection than mine. Mine is a slalom skiing helemt. I had one when I used to race a little slalom and it is great for protecting the egg against sharp cracks from the course poles. It is very light and very streamlined, but wont protect much against big high speed stacks, infact it has no high density foam inner at all (as bicycle helmets do).

p454674dt.jpg

$64.99 at the Sports Authority.

No need for boots, you could use a bicycle helmet with this and any winter jacket and waterproof pants you own could be used to great effect.

No need for a lift ticket with one of these babies either.

\:D \:D \:D \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Markie:
Just for your reference, doc, a one week package for me from Hong Kong including everything: Ski rentals, plane tickets, ground transport, food etc... usually sets me back by about US$2K. I went to Club Med once, and I think that was the most expensive, that was over 3K.
"markie - do you have a good travel agent in HK for ski trips to japan? i also live in hk and am looking for a place to go over x-mas. thansk."

Aomori is home to possibly the cheapest resort in Japan for those who can get there. The Hakkoda Ropeway sells monthly tickets for about 11,500 yen and you can find accomodation at the base of the mountain or down the hill in Aomori city. Don't know what it is like for you guys who live down south, but us Northerners had a pretty good situation.

It is expensive but living and existing in Japan is too! I mean what else are you going to do with your weekend? Unless you are a student and have study to do theres not much to do for free apart from sitting at home watching tv, but thats going to send you into major depression and sterilisation from your kotatsu so why not be out there doing something? It costs a bit to get set up but its not too hard to find some gear lying around or get some off your mates, I mean you dont HAVE to start with the best gear, and then 4000 or so for a lift ticket - we all know how far 4000 yen goes in Japan and how much money escapes your wallet by just leaving the house (yes some of us have houses!)And think of the major buzz you get and the best sleep youll have after a few post powder brews. Its a small price to pay I think.