deebee, that's not 'boarder attitude' you're developing there is it?

I steer miles clear of anybody learning, skiers or boarders. But skiers tend to learn in bigger groups so you need to make a wider loop.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No attitude intended here. I am way too much a beginner to have an attitude anyway. I was just a little worried that of all people to crash into me it was a ski instructor.

As for the comment on fancy ski outfits... I would think that even if I were on skis myself. There really are some funny outfits being worn.

Just say no used to be a lovely touching anti-drugs song did it not. I remember that.

On the same kind of theme - anyone here seen any of those new anti-drugs TV commercials. Quite hard-hitting compared to anything else I've seen here.

hey deebs,

to the best of my knowledge,

uphill rider has the right of way

but I think that applies to cases where

people are doing long sweeping turns across the mountain, or coming in from another course.

Too many beginners think that because they

are beginners and helpless, they don`t have to

watch or yield. I`ve already ran into two wide sweepers and it`s only pre-season.

There really is no hard and fast rule, it`s just

common sense, which is what the instructor who

hit you was clearly lacking.

If rule number two is yield to the uphill rider, then rule number one has to be watch where you are going.

you should sue \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by barok:
Too many beginners think that because they
are beginners and helpless, they don`t have to
watch or yield. I`ve already ran into two wide sweepers and it`s only pre-season.
There's another side to that particular coin... ;\)

Can you really expect a beginner to 1) know who should give way 2) be able to get out of the way. Crashing into someone cos they "should" give way when you have the ability to avoid the crash seems pretty F'ing stupid to me I hope the next person who does that breakes their leg. (just to clarify, the leg of the person who choose to crash into the learner cos they didnt get out of the way)

OK have fun crashing.

Barok, are you sure that the uphill person has right of way? Does that mean I can straight line it from the top and everyone should give way to me? I'm sure that cant be right.

If your pulling into a run or joining a trail or something then obviously you need to give way to those uphill.

If you are already on the trail then you must give way to those downhill from you.

When it comes down to it it is better for two people to give way than neither. Otherwise a whole of pain is coming your way!

Spot on Snowboard_freak. The uphill rider definitely does not have right of way when all riders are on the same trail. A lot of resorts have signs at the ticket office explaining the rules.

If you hit someone down hill from you there are no excuses. It doesn't matter if they're a learner making wide arcs... its the individuals responsibility to avoid what is IN FRONT of them.

jarred, just ignore the founding members and only patrons of the Pippy Long Stocking Fan Club. V&K are holier than thou, and me.

I agree , an experienced rider deserves a ski in his bum if he decides to crash into someone just because he has the right of way, even though he has the skill to avoid the crash.

As for up hill rider - if I am looking down the slope I dont expect to have someone slam into me from behind. Likewise, as I am going down the slope I am very aware of who is further down from me (remember, they cant see me) and dont crash into them.

Even I can pick a person (downhill from me) who is really struggling or is making erratic turns and plan to take a wide path around them.

Here again for your delight is the Alpine Code;

-----

Know your ability.

Always stay in control.

Be able to stop and avoid other people or objects.

Take lessons from qualified professional instructors to learn and progress.

Do not stop where you obstruct a trail or run or are not visible from above.

When entering a trail or run or starting downhill, look uphill and give way to others.

Always use proper devices to prevent runaway equipment. Ensure you equipment is in good condition.

Avoid people ahead of you - they have right of way.

Observe all signs and warning.

Keep off closed trails or runs and out of closed areas.

Before using any lift you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.

Do not ski, snowboard, ride a chair or undertake any other alpine activity, if drugs or alcohol impairs your ability.

If you are involved in a collision or witness an accident, alert Ski Patrol, remain at the scene and identify your self to the Ski Patrol.

-----

The more I see of this, the more it annoys me. It basically says 'you have no right of way, anywhere', although it doesn't say so clearly. But that makes sense. Personally, I don't like banging into people because I don't like seeing them hurt, so I keep my own space and look up and down the hill. Sometimes I whistle too if I'm not grimacing with the fall-line horrors.

It's quite simple really. Everyone has a responsibility to maintain enough control and exercise enough caution so as not to run into others. This applies regardless of your skill level. The person doing wide sweeping turns may be a pain in the arse but he/she has the right not to expect to be run down from behind by someone who is essentially out of control. I've been guilty of doing it to some people and it's me who's in the wrong. If you want to cane it down the gelande you have to anticipate the foibles of others, who may be learning as all of us have had to at some stage. This year my ambition is to remain in control and not hit trees, people, kamushkas or anything else. So far I've succeeded in hitting only one tree-the tree won.

I have had a number of run ins with patrol. But there is no way I would ever give them my pass. The problem is that they just keep on giving you a hard time.

Point, if you go out of bounds be prepared, in this country it is self rescue. So make sure you have the right equipment and or go with someone that knows the terrain.

Some of the off piste runs can drag your ass down into a gully that is hell to get out of.

S