Me? I'm a kiwi. I spent a winter in Sausage ..ahm Summit county a few years back, worked at Keystone as a Gondola operator - working the 4pm to midnight shift - I could ride all day \:D .

Had the employee pass which was of course good at all Vail Resorts, Breck, Beaver and Vail.

For a mere $10 dollars I could get a A - Basin pass too (Keystone and A basin being formerly connected and all)

I had a 5 mountain pass for $10 bucks, thats the only way to ski or ride, work at a resort.

I loved A Basin - all the gapers and flatlanders with their football stadium jackets, rear entry boots and jeans infested Keystone but the Basin, thats were it was at, I remember some hell telemarkers hanging out there, the best telemarkers I have ever seen, dudes bombing down pallavicini lifts double blacks like it was a gentle blue run (was that you? ;\) )

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
But as for 34's comment above-
Why would anybody get upset about that?
'cause I was firing off an opinion without ever having actually been there, nor to Canada or many of the other contenders for snow-topia.

(I should reveal that I am irritated by kids who 'have done a lot of reading on the subject' on the internet and then attach greater value to their opinion. The internet has created a great deal of armchair experts).

In 1997 I passed through Colorado in the beginning of May. It was snowing lightly and I decided to drive up to A-basin to enjoy a little snow. As I was travelling from coast to coast I didn't have any gear with me except gloves. So I had to rent. I found out this was probably the only place in the States where you couldn't pay with a credit card.

So Chamonix is still my highest 3700m. And making the 2700m vertical descent through the Vallee blanche is a great fun when there is plenty of snow.

SG, I love Pali but most likely I was trying to follow my buddy's coming down Pali, not as easy as the blues that's for damn sure but great fun when there's new snow, not so fun on hard pack and ya gotta watch out for the rocks. I really miss that area...Did you ever ski the "Professor" across the road from A-Basin? Had to hike to it from the top of Loveland Pass then down through the trees by the first upper parking lot. Great fun!