I have some friends who skied in Bolivia. This is supposedly the highest liftserviced skiarea. It is around 5300meters.

They were with 4 and rented 2 pairs of skis. After 1 run they were exhausted and then gave the skis to the other 2 who had been waiting. They alternated skiing and recuperating the whole day. It wasn`t really good snow or good skiing but it is a good story which you can tell your friends (much better then this).

3,400ish metres at Winter Park, Colorado.

Nice place and uncrowded when I was there a few years back. Though the double chair ride to the top sucks some.

It's nice to be a part of a forum that doesn't have a bunch of kids on it that would take this question and run.

Banff in Alberta Canada has the best resorts Ive ever been to* (Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, and Norquay), peak heights Im not sure of but they're on up there.

*Comparing only Colorado, Alberta, and Japan

Scouser I forgot the name but I think there is a lift that opens in the summer in Japan that goes up to 3000m.

Otherwise, I think LL, SV & BN are around 2600 - 2700m top elevation. I agree, nice resorts (Norquay a bit small, but nice steeps).

Yokoteyama Shiga Kogen does indeed claim to be the highest @ 2305 meters.

http://www.shigakogen.jp/yokoteyama/

ところで当スキー場の山頂部分2305mは日本のスキー場 ;の中で最も標高が高い所にあるって知ってました 5311;ですので横手山頂から滑走すると日本一標高の高 ;いスキー場を制覇したことになるんですよ!

those steeps to the left are lethal, they are often closed and you can often see large slides all over them, than road is the Loveland pass which used to be the way over the front range into the heart of Colorado.

The Eisenhower tunnel opened up a quite a while back now 25 -30 years ago perhaps and took most of the traffic away.

Just down the road is the big resort Keystone and the mountain in the background is Breckinridge where Zwelgen (former forum member) went to work last winter.

Loveland pass is famous for people using cars as lifts, get a ride to the top of the pass, ride down and the drive back to the top again.

Also its famous for Full moon parties.

I really like A Basin, I have some fond memories of that place.

The back country to the right of the resort of pretty darn good

Quote:
Originally posted by 34 guest(s):
You know, the more I look at it, the more I think America is the place to be for terrain + snow quality & quantity. I may get shot down for that, but the options just seem endless.
America certainly knows how to do resorts - good mix of terrain and general snow quality, but their classification of Black/D Black is suspect. Below average food/alcohol but their people are just so helpful.

Canada has more of a frontier nature to their resorts - less money to spend and less people I guess. But, their interpretation of black/DB is real - DB's are serious stuff there. K-Nucks are much like Aussies.

NZ - nice people, great scenery, good beer and food, but lousy access to ski fields (South Island).

Australia - hey, we're lucky to get snow!

Japan - best place for powder. Great people and food. REALLY need to get their act together in several aspects of tourism and resort layout.

There ya go 34, took some of the heat off ya. ;\)
(Although we digress from the post.)
 Quote:
Originally posted by SubZero:
K-Nucks are much like Aussies.
mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
;\)

I hope other people don't think that's true ;\)

But as for 34's comment above-
Why would anybody get upset about that?
The states have amazing terrain and usually pretty good policies about skiing the good stuff. It's not like you're saying yippee to Mr.Bush
Originally posted by Toque:

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif ;\) I hope other people don't think that's true ;\) '

I meant all the good stuff ... only, why do K-Nucks sound like Yanks?? confused.gif lol.gif

Seriously though, when it comes to resorts/ski fields, I reckon the Yanks do it the best - the yardstick by which all others are judged.

Snowglider where you from? A-Basin was my home for years!!!! I love that place! Then right over the pass (or on it for that matter) is Loveland which is also really nice.

The chutes on the east wall are a blast when there's enough snow to cover the boulders. Used to be the highest lift served in the US but I think it's lost that by a few feet to someone else now...near there also...

Question....sorry, ski many of Colorado's 14ers for fun. Most of them are skiable.

Oh also , the best thing about Colorado is the season pass wars! A few years back they started and allow one person to buy a season pass at A-Basin, Keystone and Breckenridge for $250 unlimited no blackouts or for just $50 more you get 10 days at either Beaver Creek or Vail! That cannot be beat for a season pass deal. And A-Basin's season pass I think was up to $200 this year? Still, it's what I paid for my little bump of a hill here, not quite the same feeling.