• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Hello

Thanks again for keeping the thread " active", I'll do my best to check it on a daily basis from now on.

To answer the questions posed:

1. ARAI has discontinued last year's weekday discount policy and instead, among other things, lowered the price of day gondola/lift tickets from JPY 4,600 to JPY 4,300 for the coming season.

2. We're very sorry about our English web being down right now, but are in the process of coming back with an improved site. One of the main reasons for the new site is that ARAI wants to take a more active role in listening to what you all have to say.

Thank you very much

Blair.

Hi there

From Dec. 14th thru to Dec. 20th, ARAI is offering Gondola/Lift Day tickets for JPY 3,600.

The prices then go up to JPY 4,300 from December 21st thru to March 31, 2003. The ticket prices will then revert to JPY 3,600 from APRIL 1st to the close of the season.

Thank you very much

Blair.

I was so disappointed when I got my hands on this year`s Arai pamphlet last month. They`re making the lift tix 4300yen all the time instead of the 2300yen weekday price they used to charge before. \:\( Don`t they know it already cost us Tokyo people(and there`s a lot of us)an arm and a leg just to get up there in the first place? Not that I`ll boycott the place..I still do plan on going there at least a couple of times this coming season, but this new policy will definitely discourage many customers from visiting their mountain during the weekdays. If I were running the mountain I`d want to boost the number of visitors during weekdays, not the other way around! They could`ve simply raised the price to let`s say, 3000yen(cuz let`s admit it, at 2300 they`re probably not making any money at all)and people like me would still be happy. Just my $0.02

That is disappointing and the reasons would be interesting to hear.

I am sure places like ARAI get most of their income from people actually staying in their hotels more than from lift tickets.

Hello Hello

Well, I've just talked with one of the accountants for his take on the ticket prices.

I was told that we tried the half price ticket policy for the first time two years ago, but the numbers from then indicated that the strategy failed to have a significant impact.

The company did not want to give up on the strategy, so we tried half price tickets again last year, but had similar results.

Our present strategy represents an effort to balance out the weekdays and weekend visitors by offering tickets at JPY 4,300 for day trippers and JPY 3,500 for hotel guests.

Time will tell if the present strategy is effective or not.

Thank you very much

Blair.

An interesting question to ask the accountant might also be how much was spent on getting out the word on the radical weekday pricing, and what methods were chosen for this advertising. Two years probably isn't long enough to wait if you rely too much on percolation as a method. Probably most people on here only found about the pricing from NoFakie's post about it, but his info has now unfortunately been overtaken by a new pricing decision.

My crystal ball has been dropped a few times and is a bit grubby, but it seems to show me an accountant despairing over another failed strategy...

Hello Hello

A room at the Inn at Arai can be had for JPY 14,000 single use, with nights preceding national holidays and Fridays Saturdays excluded

Ocean 11, speaking for myself, I don't know what the accountant was really thinking when I talked to him about our ticket prices.

Companies, in my experience, don't always share the numbers among their own employees.

Please understand that it is not possible for me to show you the numbers when I've never actually seen them myself.

Thank you very much

Blair.

Thanks for the price indication Blair. All I want is a place to sleep between the days out and about. JPY14000 is to steep considering I am not there for the hotel. I may try it once, but no way would it become a habit.

Hakuba Iwatake put their prices back up (300 yen) this year after cutting them heavily last year. It sounds like they got 30% more people, many paying just over half as much. This resulted in a large fall in revenue.