• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice articles SJC#3

I think I managed to find the one on ski-patrols before.

You guys have really tidyed up and got things looking good.

Good idea to put these links in occasionally so that we can see what else is around.

Thanks a lot.

Hi there

No I haven't driven the machines you saw in the article yet, but am hoping to have the chance at some point.

It's pretty amazing how much grass that machine can cut.

Look for the next volume of the setting journals on snow japan around about mid november.

Thank you for reading the setting journals on SNOW JAPAN.

Blair.

Blair.

If you're there Blair, I have two questions about Arai.

First is about the lift that goes off to left from the gondola. When I went to Arai in April 2001, this lift was closed for the season due to "subsidence". Do you know what happened or how it was fixed? How long it took etc.?

Secondly, last season I noticed that Arai is using "cattle tag" type sticky lift tickets, presumably to stop early leavers selling/handing them on since they get in a right mess when you take them off. If you know any background about them or could tell us about the general reaction to them, please do so.

Have a great season!

Hi there

Thank you very much for all the questions. I'll answer them in random order:

1. ARAI will open on the set date of Dec. 14th;

2. I have yet to try boarding, but do ski throughout the season. I ski either when I'm helping to guide guests or assisting the ski patrol with setting up the mountain following a big dump (All hands on deck!);

3. ARAI gets so much snow because it is a coastal mountain. The Siberian winds blow off the sea, hit the mountain and dump on us. Thus, it was necessary to build the only heated plaza in the world;

4. In 2001 Kogenashi # 1 lift at ARAI was closed for that white season due to some subsidence appearing around the No. 17 support tower of that lift. The situation was remedied by driving approximately 100 hollow iron bars of 30 meters in length into the area concerned. These bars were then filled with concrete. Though the process took approximately 6 months, there has been no further subsidence since then; &

5. ARAI switched the lift tickets for the exact reason mentioned earlier in the thread. I apologize for any inconvenience this type of ticket causes our guests, but such action was necessary to avoid asking paying guests to pay more.

Thanks again for reading the setting journals

Blair.

Hello again

All lifts are in the final stage of maintenance at ARAI MOUNTAIN & SPA. Operations are set to begin from Saturday, Dec. 14th 2003.

ARAI MOUNTAIN & SPA's village centerpiece is it's heated plaza, that accommodates all ages year round in a spacious European "piazza-style" atmosphere.

I'm looking out at the snow falling here right now!

Thanks again

Blair.

Blair, don't you think it's kinda lame that a place like Arai can't find a way to get organized when snow falls? I mean, it's not like the seasons come online at the same time every year, so always setting the same date and just waiting seems like a big wasted opportunity. If Arai were open now with all its snow, I'd be there.

So what's the full story? Why is it so impossible to respond to the bounty of the skies? Some resorts in Hakuba seem to be cashing in...

Probably not, you phat knacker. A snow resort that is no use to anybody when there's deep snow all over it is no use to anybody. And someone who wants to find a reason to justify the lack of activity is a clown. Business is not done by making excuses, as most of the world knows.

Although I still think reading Blair's future piece will be more rewarding than anything you and your mate humph have to offer...

Perhaps the area with the snow on it is completely inaccessible without running lots of lifts. I don't know, maybe there is an excellent reason why a resort with a metre of snow shouldn't open. But after 11 years in the land of the economic miracle, I'll retain my skepticism.