I know what I think, but I'm selfishly interested in hearing other peoples rants on this one. What makes powder the best kind of snow for us?

I almost thought we were going to have a thread when cheeseman posted nothing about cheese! But there you go!

As for powder, i have limited experience in it, and not very deep compared to what i hear Japan can get like. But i just love the feeling. Its like riding on air or something. It just feels damn good!!!

cheeseman, you missed a trick there. Powdered Parmesan!

The thing I like about powder is riding it down to the bottom of a deep creek, falling over from lack of momentum, taking off my board, and finding there's no bottom to it. Then I enjoy the effort and challenge involved in constructing fragile steps out of the powder by compacting it with my board and hauling myself up onto each step. I find that when I've climbed out having made some 20 of these steps, I'm nice and warm all over.

I also find it quite thrilling when powder forces its way into my underwear.

When I first skied powder I hated it, you fall over lots, loose your skis and its not as fast as piste. Then something just clicks! Magic! You float through the softness, you carve wide turns, you glide much more than on piste. Its fantastic!

I think a certian appeal to powder is its elusiveness. On any given day you can ski hard fast piste, but a good dry cold powder day is a rare treasure, even rarer when its a weekend and every other pillick hasnt chopped it up.

BTW one thing I hate about some (esp Japanese) boarders, they go on a nice steep powder run and slide down on their back edge messing up the nice soft powder and scraping it down to the hard stuff underneath. Stop it! Dont do it! If youre not brave enough to do the run dont mess it up for the rest of us!

No doubt thats going to get some criticism...

With the slight proviso that to learn to ride powder, you have to get into it before you're fully able actually to ride it.

But then you see people who can't even ride the groomers snow-ploughing right through it, so I agree there.