The J-Pop isn't that big a deal at a lot of places. Often it's restricted to one chairlift, or even just one lift station, and some places don't have any music at all.

I heard of one place (can't remember where) that plays enka for the nighta. Goes down rather well, if my mate is to be believed...

Nope. I disagree with O11, Jpop seems to be everywhere. I don't know how many resorts he has been to but I can't think of anywhere that I've been to that doesn't either blast that out or '80s rock or Wham. It does get annoying.

At Wada Toge, you can listen to the Music of the Spheres...

I guess I haven't been to lots of the young trendy places, but when I have, that's been a factor in making me want not to go there again. That's just another point in favour of Nozawa. There's only music at one gondola station, and it's not very loud at that.

But who are we to question the decision of resorts to play J-pop?!? Eh?! Somebody must like it, it must contribute to revenue if the resorts play it. After all, they have more experience at running resorts than xxx for example!!!

Download Kazaa if you haven't already got it, and try searches for the following random sample;

utada hikaru

kinki kids

morning musume

brilliant green

dreams come true

smap

yuming/matsutoya yumi

mister children

If you come up with any, you can turn up the speakers loud on your computer, and blast it out in central London.

At Hakuba47 the other day, it was all godawful soul of the screamin', whinin', dronin', hollerin' kind. Where they stretch out every word and go up and down a whole couple of octaves on one vowel.

I (ay-ay-ay-ay-ya-yaeee) love (la-ya-ya-ya-ha-ha-hayu-huhuhuhavu) you (yayaya-oo-oo-oo-woo-woo). Ahh shaddup! It was good to get in my car and put on some Howlin Wolf and regain my respect for black vocalists...

I think I J-Pop grates less than the worst kind of 'soul'.