A point to make...

I think - perhaps - that J-resorts find it difficult to plan or market on an untangable such as the "Benefit to Opening Early" deal...

My thought is that by Opening early you create a certain aura of "We were first therefore we must have the most or be the best" senario...

Now I realize that this is not a logical assumption but... the point is that this may not translate into a direct Bonanza of Yen immediatley but who knows the kinda of seasonal effect it might have over the course of 5 months...

Kinda like if we get an extra two hundred more people in the beginning of the season to our resort, they enjoy themselves and tell two friends each and so on and so on etc.., and soon you have a "Snowball Marketing Effect"...

I was thinking that this must be some intangable that perhaps they don't get but I do think that this is the reason they have Nighta skiing... Someone on that thread said it when they said that they were likely to book at a resort offering Nighta but would seldom take advantage of it....

The arguement about Supplier envy or Manpower issues are bunk... It is obvious that some resorts are open and therefore there are suppliers who can respond... On the manpower issue.. Ski hill workers (not the core professionals who are probably like 5% of staff and employed year round) are transient and work at the mountains mostly for the pass not the bucks or job security.. I'll bet you $100 that Whistler is full of Kiwi's and Aussies waiting for the season to start - some might be recieving some kinda stand-by wage and a place to crash but most are bumming around waiting for snow because that is their life and don't care much about anything else...

Anyways.... loosing my train of thought or mind or something... I will await the appropriate "piisss off your wrong" responses...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is ridiculous! No one is telling you that you *have* to go skiing if you don't want to. We are just talking about what creates that attitude, and what a resort could do to get at people like you and cause them to want to come spend money.

SKI, you say

Quote:
Do you not comprehend that many people would not go now even if everywhere were open with more snow than there actually is now?
That is the irrational behavior we are talking about. No, I don't comprehend that could be rational. It does not make sense that someone would not want to go skiing when the snow is at its best and everything is open. All other factors aside, what time of the year is not important.

So where is your damn reasoning?!!! You guys dance around the issue like if we are too stupid to read your minds then we don't deserve to know. How about giving us one shred of logic. Here...I will help you out. These are some reasons I could see as valid:

• I usually buy my gear in December so I don't have anything to use yet
  • I save up my money until January so I can afford to go a lot in January and February
  • I go to school and can not go until winter break
  • My girlfriend is visiting me in Tokyo for another two weeks. She doesn't board and I want to get in as much time with her as I can before she leaves
  • My silly mom forgot to send me my base plates
  • I pulled something in my chest and want to give it a few weeks to heal
  • I live in Hong Kong

All valid reasons. Thank you mumbojumbo who just says "I can't go because none of the places around me are open." A reason. I feel your pain mumbojumbo. None of the places around me are open either.

But then SKI, you come back with

Quote:
I should perhaps have known better.

It must be hard being so perfect Ocean11 and having to listen to all the peasants around you (everyone) all the time. Good luck with it anyway.

Where is the cause for insult? (BTW MalcolmB, that is insulting) You just throw out a few lines without thinking about them and then go back and hide behind your shield of the "We don't listen to a word Ocean says" camp, confident in the fact that as long as you are being condescending to Ocean, hey, there are enough people on the forum that agree with you...no need to give any kind of reasoning.

So if it so rational to not want to ski in November, even if the snow is as good or better than December, and all the resorts are open, let's look at this hypothetical situation: You live in a place that has snow year round. Snow like January in Nagano. It never changes...every month is identical. Do you still only ski from December to April? If you say "Yes, I only ski from December to April, because that is when I want to ski" then your reasoning is irrational. That makes your reason for wanting to ski "because". GREAT!

I am sure if there was a place like the one I just described there would be plenty of rational people there riding from December 1st until Nov 30th. I know I would. Why? Well of course, just because...

If you're into riding piste, there's more than enough snow in Hakuba for that. I've been and seen it. If you imagine that there isn't when told by any number of people that there is, then you're weird.

Of course if your Gran just died and you've got to bury her or something important, obviously I'd understand if you didn't want to go...

I spoke this afternoon to the Kneissel / Rave Rep here in Hokkaido.. he was at Sapporo Kokusai yesterday - Friday - and said the snow was awesome.. loose powder and no signs of rocks, twigs, grass and the like... they said 120 cms of base and he said that they weren't exagerating at all.. problem was that it was snowing like hell and the wind was blowing... He said he did enjoy but it was a case of a little too much snow coming down to be real fun for first time out...

Anyways......... Cheers