this is my first season to drive up to the mountains ( used to go by train ) and just bought a 4wd isuzu. Should i go for snow tires or just pull over and put on chains? which give better grip on icy roads?? chains will cost 20,000 for a set whereas tires will cost 80, 000. do they merit the cost??what do you use?? which are better??

I would say snow tires are far superior. Especially if you have a 4WD car. Even with decent all season tires and 4WD you should be all right in all but the worst of conditions. But chains totally suck. They suck to put on and you have to drive slow! I avoid them at most costs. If I was shopping for snow tires and had a Rodeo I would look for non-studded traction tires.

The trouble with chains is it's not your decision when to put them on. On the highway, they stop everyone, check their tyres, and tell you to put on chains if you haven't got snow tyres on. And there isn't even any snow settled on the road...

That is lame...but not exactly suprising. One thing I have definitely learned from my time on this board is that Japanese beaurocracies and those in decision making positions appear to make decisions and policies contrary to those I would consider sensible...but I digress. Klubhead, if you can afford them then get the tires. Chains suck.

It's also important to remember that 4WD and snow tyres are proof against absolutely nothing - you still have to drive really carefully.

With a low profile Imprezza with 4WD and new snow tyres, I still lose it on corners if I go just a bit too fast. With a taller ATV type thing, the risk of sliding is even higher (I often see Toyota Surfs with Tokyo plates stuck in snow banks by the road...)

May the road rise up to meet you, but not too hard.

I gotta Mitsubishi Delica with snow and mud traction tyres on the vehicle.

I too was of the same dilema as you are klubhead.

I went to Autobacs and did some asking around and the man at the shop told me that 90% of the time if you have have snow and mud type normal tyres on your vehicle you should not be stopped and told to put chains on. I asked him what the other 10% was and he said it was incase there was a massive snow fall in which case you wouldn't get past caused the road would probably be closed anyway.

I know this is only the opinion of one person working in a car accessory shop, but I am happy to go by this persons advice as it means that I save heaps of money!

I understand that a snow and mud tyre pattern allows for driving on snowy roads just as good and effective as chains do. The problem is the ice and this is where studless come into their own. Chains are too good on ice either but they are better than nothing.

Here in Australia, if you dont have chains in ur car and u get checked, we get fined.... is that the same?? its a couple of hundred dollars as far as i know...

so during the snow season if your not a 4WD you must carry chains....

i'd spend the extra on "snow tyres?" i dont know what they are because if you have a 4WD your fine to go up the mountain ova here... so if ya got a 4WD you miss out on paying $40 rental for one weekend...

chains are fiddley too who wants to put chains on ur car when its frezzing cold!

go the tyres!

Mogski - I agree. 90%+ of the time "good" snow tyres are all you need, esp. matched with 4wd. Chains are a pain, BUT if you've ever been sliding sideways at 15k/hr on glassy ice at 7:00am with your "great" snow tyres and realize that you have sweet f all control, then you realize what chains are about. In ice, icy snow and deep snow chains rule. I keep them just in case.I bought a pair of used once chains last weekend from the local (only one) 2nd hand auto parts shop for Y1,000 (they gave me Y500 for my trade in used only once chains from my previous car). Probably most chains are rarely used, but you never know esp. if you visit out of the way mountainous regions. By the way my snow tyres - Yokohama Geolander + 11 are cruel. Until now they whip it real good. \:\)

My tyres are not actully snow tyres but have a snow and mud pattern on them. Big chunkers that make a constant humming on the road.

I think I will search around the second hand places for chains as it is the ice, like you say, that is the killer and that I don't want to encounter at any time of the day.

To answer your question endo chains on a 4WD should be fitted to the steering wheels when in 4WD mode. (Not the one in the car oka so no funny jokes!)

If you have chains and or snow tires you have to drive as the conditions permit. I too have seen too many big 4wds trucks in the dicth. I once saw a damm salt truck that tumbled off the highway, the damm thing had tires and chains.

As for the tire type, as everything in Japan usally comes down to bureaucracy, meaning they want one type and no exceptions, it is "shoganai".

Even though we and everyone knows better.

In my first three years driving in japan, I bought snowchains. Got through four sets before getting tyres. Given the tyres came in at 60,000 yen (delica space gear, shop around) and four chains around 80,000, snow tyres turn out to be cheaper anyway. If you do go for chains, get the rubbers type, you can drive faster in them and they break less.

As for safety, remember they're snow tyres, tyres and chains work great in the snow, but not on ice.

snobee, got the same, yokohama geolander, great tyre.

cheers folks!!!

looks like I'm buying chains and tires tomorrow then!! where i come from, the only chains you need are for locking your car to something big that doesn't move or for more personal deeper reasons ( snigger snigger )

Klubhead,

Which model of Isuzu did you buy?

Here in Europe most Isuzu 4WD cars are already equipped with mud-and-snow tyres that should be enough for your needs.

20.000 yen for snow chains seems a bit high to me (mind you, I don't live in Japan). What do you have, 245/70R16 on the front wheels?

My friend has an early 90's 4WD Isuzu Rodeo. It is decent in the snow but not extraordinary. I used to have a 91 4WD Subaru Wagon that was an absolute snow beast. I could drive that thing anywhere. Same problem as Ocean's Isuzu though; one of the windows in the back didn't quite close \:\)

just bought a isuzu mu ( mysterious utility -shite name, awesome car ) mark 2 AND just been tto autobacs to buy 'quick 55's ' a kind of plastic chain which they claim can be driven at 50kph with no damage to the tires! we shall see!!!!

I think the Mu is known in the rest of the world as the Rodeo. The tires you got on your car (like everyone else already said) should be ok on nearly all the roads you're going to drive in the next months: at 245 the tires are quite large (which means less stability on icy/wet roads), but with a mud-and-snow pattern and 4WD you shouldn't worry about putting snow chains on.

Plastic chain? eek.gif

Er... Did you buy a set of Spider Spikes or what?

Yeah the suby with the cracked back window had an interesting assortment of fungi growing on the back seat. My own little biology project. When it was particularly wet the sea-monkeys came out of their castle.

Always a lovely scent.

so if I buy a set of snow tires this season, what are the chances I will be able to sell them at the end of the season??

I have shopped around some tire shops, and none of them will deal with used tires...in the states its not so uncommon...

anybody in here want dibbs on some tires for next season???

danz