Yo Barok, guess I was mistaken thinking BC cost a pair of skins and some physical prowess.

Guess I grew up with the wrong crowd. In mountaineering the greatest climbers (DONT even think about sport climbing comebacks) were/are off in Pakistan or Bolivia putting up unfilmed new routes all the time. Guess I mistakenly thought there might be some free spirits in the sliding world too.

yo miteyak,

I didn't know that anyone here did any of that stuff. Heck, I've never climbed anywhere outside of the US or Japan, but I have some damn good stories! Especially the exploits in Alaska! I'm a total believer in 'earn your own turns'. When I lived in the NW of the US, I would climb peaks every weekend just to descend new routes. I loved it. I will be doing it a bunch later this winter! I can't wait!

just read the posts above. And no, I'm not sponsored. I somehow find a way to do it on my own. Somehow....

Now that's more like it. When the mtv kids put it on the line, descend Mckinley after soloing the thing first, in a blizzard, i'll give 'em a bit of credit even if they're a smug git. Like mountaineering I think the slide thing should be holistic, if only to keep heli's, 'bilers etc (and morons who think all you need are a few good turns and a beacon to be safe) outta the mountains. Maybe be it's an English thing,

Each to his own though. ;\)

Oh and barok, been to some of the remotest parts of the world, for about...ummm...five dollars a day. Guess I forgot to rent a 'copter though. confused.gif

sure it`s cheap in the remote areas, but was your plane ticket free ?

of course you can do it, and much respect to those people who do . . . but like it or not there are simply places you can`t reach without copters, boats, guides, or lots of gear.

that stuff costs money whether you like it or not, and the companies will be there with people who can do it with the most style.

get paid or don`t get paid to do what you love - it`s not a hard decision.

of course i`m all for soul in the sport - so do what you want to - you`ll be better for it - and so will riding, but it`s naive to think that the best in the world aren`t/weren`t getting paid.

:rolleyes: right back at ya duude. .

your attitude that the current pros "mtv kids" haven`t been paying their dues is ridiculous.

when you can do half the stuff that the kevin jones`, jp walkers` and craig kellys` of the world can do, in the park or on the big mnts. then start baggin` on them, but until then - yer livin` in a dream world.

What's ridiculous is to suggest that a discount plane ticket is out of reach, but spending every day at a resort is somehow affordable. Don't assume you know the whole world because you're some kinda hero in your world. You make statements and assertions based on what you think is possible, and what you value. That's great, but it doesn't preclude the possibility that other things are possible, exist, which is the only idea i'm putting forward.

(PS. how much did your last BC trip cost)

Quote:

:

your attitude that the current pros "mtv kids" haven`t been paying their dues is ridiculous.

Where did I say that? I just implyed that the greatest (in my case) skiers in the world were in my book the hard arse mountain men.

Got to go with Herman Maier from the Austrian Ski Team. That guy is an amazing skier even though he is a racer. He was amazing in 98 in Nagano. Remember the crash that he had in the downhill then came back to win the Super G and the Giant Slalom. Absolutely amazing - too bad he had that motorcycle accident and couldn't compete at Salt Lake last yr.

For snowboarder I have to go with that Jeremy Jones guy. Saw some film of him I think in the movie "Further" and he was amazing. Definitely boarding the steepest bc stuff with style.

Some Names best snowboarder by far Jeremy Jones no one rides the crap he does mostly 60 plus degrees facing the fall line.

Peiere Yves lebanc or Hugo Harrison You dont hear about them cause they are just Canadians. They win almost any contest also Moss Paterson.

Terje is the MJ of snowboarding.

Boarding is just natural for him.

I would rate among the best Shaun Palmer. Almost 20 years of kickin' ass in the pipe, boarder-x, downhill, on skis, mountain bike... whatever.