Seems that a few places were open, but what's the deal Japan dudes and dudettes? When's the start for real at most places?

I've just booked my second winter boarding holiday (Italy), if someone gives me a bundle of cash I'd be over there in a shot.

Kagura last weekend - beautiful weekend! Base was 1.2 m at the top, but the parking quickly became full around 9:00 am. Since Tashiro was still closed, it got pretty crowded as the day progressed. They did run a special pre-season lift rate = 3000 yen/day, but they would go back to regular pricing starting next weekend.

Maybe this is part of the reason some resorts were so reluctant to open early. Too much hassle to have to close when the rain is too heavy. They have to pay the workers that aren't working on these days, who wouldn't have started had they not opened.

Mid November riding is pretty sketchy

I wonder about that though enderzero. When things were looking so good a few weeks back, I'd like to know how many people bought season passes to 47 thinking they'd clean up over the extra long season... Of course those people won't be buying season passes or probably any other kind of passes to anywhere else.

How much of a factor is that, I wonder.

I doubt I represent a large demographic, but due to 47's early opening I now know where it is, how to get there, what the slopes are like, what accom is in the area etc etc. Had all resorts opened with snow in mid dec I really dont know if I would have ended up at 47 at all (or even hakuba).

It is certainly now a well known name to me (when before it was just another one of the 600 or so confusing japanese resorts). It has certainly been one of the more talked about resorts on this board. I suspect that the early start may have got the brand out there.

I certainly would have gone to Arai by now if they were open, but they are not and now I know Hakuba far better than Arai. But I am only 1 person, so it dont really count for diddly.

I agree Deebs, I haven't been to any of the resorts but 47 definitely stands out as one of the first I should visit. Sounds like they are committed to the hardcore rider...at least more than some.

I really don't think the seasons pass buyer is plays that much of a role in the profit scheme f the resorts. I think it is something they know they have to offer, but wouldn't if the could get away with it. Whats a pass cost at 47 vs a day ticket? You only have to go like 4 or 5 times to pay for it right? It does reward loyalty in such a competetive marketplace, though.

I think you'd have to go 10 times or maybe even more to equal the price of a season pass.

Take barok for instance. He's bought a pass to 47 (right?) even before having seen places like Nozawa. So he's going to be going to 47 lots, maybe eating in their restaurants, buying snacks etc. He probably won't be keen to head up to Arai too often (when it finally opens). Of course, that all depends on how much money he has to throw around, but most arguments I've heard on this subject assume that all boarders are somewhere well below the poverty line anyway.

Locking people in early with a season pass must be a boon for these businesses. It's the same logic as with telephone cards - get people to put down a nice big lump sum in advance, and if they happen not to get full value out of it, great!

If I rememeber some Ocean-logic from back before, this comment - "otherwise why would the resorts sell them?" - doesn't quite fit in.

Are you now saying that the resorts run their businesses in a logical fashion?

I'm sure you'll tell me you're wrong, but look forward to your next instant-response-mail.