Hello, mai de---su!

I came from seeing it on Japanese HP and surprised at so many English message here. Wow, it's great!

I am snowboarder, live in Saitama but from Akita. I lived in UK for 3 year but rest of life lived in Japan. (I'm Japanese).

Let's go snwoboarding this season! My favortite is Hakuba region, and also Myoko and ARAI is great too.

Hi Mai, are you an awesome boarding chick? I`m sure there are a bunch of you out there that would just eat me up on the slopes(no pun intended)! :p I hope this site will be helpful to you. You live in Saitama? Maybe we can pick you up on the way to Tanbara(j/k).

Hi Mai, I love Hakuba too, you can see some cool Hakuba Photos and vids at

http://homepage.mac.com/trioproductions/HakubaPowder/Menu9.html

I spent 6 weeks there last season. Hope to get down there again this season.

A good place to stay in Hakuba is Snowbeds.

http://www.snowbedsjapan.com/

Lots of people from all over the world hang out here and it is cheap.

Later

Sean

Hi Mai,

I visited teh Myoko area just as it was starting to snow earlier in November. What I really liked about it was that it seemed like a great area not just in winter, but also in other seasons. I plan to go back in summer for some hiking.

By the way, that dudes website on Hakone... the video clips are actually pretty good (assuming it was an amature job with him and his mates)

• 2 weeks later...

From H47 report:

"Around 40cm of very fluffy powder at the top of the resorts made for great conditions today. Bottomless turns available in many areas".

Pretty much what I guessed!

At the risk of being an idiot and annoying people, I say this:

Stop looking at the internet and go to the snow. You wont have a chance of getting a good day on the runs if you spend your time wondering if it is any good and checking the net and gripping that "oh, it doesnt seem so good/so not much snow really happened up there today?/so, was it ok, is there any snow?".

Look at Barok. He has been out a bunch of times and reported some great days and a few utter dud's. I am a beginner, so I have lower standards, but I have been out 5 times and 2 where great, 2 so-so and 1 pretty ordinary.

Hint - there is a lot of talk on this site but only a few people seem to be doing the walk. I dont get it. It is snowing, go skiing.

(this snide sounding post wasn't directed at anyone in particular and doesnt really even belong in this thread).

deebee

I can see what you mean, from your point of view, but some of us;

>> are working and find it very difficult to take time off and impossible to do so at short notice;

>> don't have enough money to splash out to go out every weekend, and so must choose out outings carefully;

>> are anticipating and looking forward to the few chances that we do have to hit the slopes.

H.Rod - all fair points. And I fear that that post of mine might cop a little flak.

I suppose the sentiment behind the post comes from me finding this site a few months ago, deciding to take up boarding and having very little to say regarding snow sports in Japan. Everyone else on the forum kind of chatted about all sorts of things, but overall every one wanted the snow to come. Then when the snow comes there is almost no increase in actual hands on snow sport chatter at all. Discussions about nasal maintenance are often livelier than they are about snow sports skills, experiences, stories etc.

I think I am just anxious to go again on the weekend so I am looking for a fix by reading this site. I have been bitten by a bug. Best to ignore me \:D . Going crazy.

Another point here deebee is that there is snow in some places. But not much in many other popular places. Take a look at the Yuzawa page for more on that - there's no snow there hardly and it's one of the main Tokyo-ite places.....nowhere is open apart from the Kagura place that is packed out with so-so snow and terrible crowds.

So----- give it another couple of weeks when there really is lots of snow and everywhere is open, and then you'll be hearing more ;\) Well you will from me anyhows.

Some of the places in the Suwa, Chino, Fujimi area might be worth a look if you're coming from Tokyo. There's been a dump here. But the forecast shows more to come in northern Naggers while it's pretty much shot it's load here. (Ah but what a load it was... ;\) )