I went out first time this season without waxing or tuning. I can only really tell the difference with wax when the snows sucks (I mean literally, sucks at the bottom of your board, on flat slushy bits.) Otherwise it makes little difference. Considering I'm too lazy to do it myself, and it costs 3,000 yen up in a shop, I'd rather spend the money on a lift ticket.

I wax my skis every now and again, not to go any faster or whatever but just to look after my gear a bit so the base doesnt oxidise . As for sharpening them Im too scared to do it myself incase I screw the edges up but my local place will do it for about 1500 for me. Expensive but on icy days well worth it and dont need to do it much.

As an aside Id love it if there was a bit of gear maintainence info on snowjapan, it took a while to work out what the hell to actually do on my skis!

I second that proposal, zwelgen. As I am relatively new to this sport, I am still working out how to ride my equipment. Then, one day, to my horror, I discovered rust on the edges of my skis! I was also told I only need to wax my skis when I put them away for storage. Anyway, I still don't have a clue as to what I should and shouldn't do to maintain my equipment.

You weren't kidding, Higuma, it took me a long time to download and print all that stuff....but really well worth it. Thanks a heap!

I'm going to stay away from the blow-torch, Ocean. I am more likely than not to either wreck my skis or or burn my fingers....probably both.

Thanx to all who replied and I hope more to come.

Theres lots of info on web, but many pages are just advertizements for their tuning and waxing products and guides.

A good site for tips is www.tognar.com

Anybody else who would like to see snow temps posted on resort watch to help home waxers?

I noticed for the first time this year the packaging for Holmenkol Wax that they are stating air temp ratings for wax choice on the package but they still sell three types of snow thermometers....

My personal opinion is that snow temps are not nearly as useful as snow humidity... most waxes are manufactured for dry, old, new, man-made, average, wet etc.., snow conditions... they just put the temp ratings on as a generization for us gits that can't figure that part out...

If you look to the tech side of waxes they are not manufactured to temp specifics but to humidity (wetness) and granularity specifics (graininess / abrasiveness)....

Anyways......

2nd thing...

With todays silicone, hi floro, low floro (floronated waxes) etc. additives - temperature means less and less..

The "board sucks" comment by Ocean is a good reason to use expensive High floro wax or regular stuff with a silicone additive... Instantly your board will no longer suck.....

What are you talking about Ocean, I have the gardener do it, the butler's strictly silverware...

Anyone know if the new 'non-wax' lubes are better than the old thing? They seem to be a lot easier to apply.

Cheers for the weblinks fellas. But what I dont get is how are you supposed to know which wax to use. I just ask the people in the shop for their advice, but if you wax every 5 days out say (Im much lazier than that) surely the snow conditions are going to change a lot, say if you go out 2x a week thats nearly 3 weeks skiing and snow changes a lot over that time. And its hard to predict when youre going to get a dump. Ahh maybe Im just being too specific, I mean Im not a super-G or whatever

In it for the buzz!

Peters, my board is beginning to sack again...

I see Sir. Would you like the fast wax again or the high-temp wax for mid-hill, sinter-damaged old snow conditions?

Oh I don't know Peters, I leave it entaahly up to you.

Very good Sir.

Oh and Peters?

Sir?

Write some more of those silly 'Ocean11' posts on SJ for me would you?

Consider it done Sir.

but seriously, waxing is great idea but i got no room to do it. makes quite a mess of the tatami.I find Toko waxing system is pretty easy to figure out:red or yellow or red/yellow! And don't worry too much, the wrong wax is better than no wax at all!