SnowJapan Community
muikabochi

Wouldn't a resource on old Japan ski areas be interesting?

Question

13 answers to this question

Hey look, I found it!     ;)

That sure came out of nowhere.

https://www.snowjapanhistory.com

I'm kind of embarrassed to learn that I lived close to a ski area.... that I never knew existed.

Komaruyama in Muikamachi >> seriously, I had never heard anything about that.

:doh:

Seriously, well done on an excellent job. Looks like you have been very busy indeed. I'll be enjoying reading it all.

:thumbsup:

(PS  Surely no more Minamiuonuma surprises?)

• Like 1

Thanks muikabochi, it has been a lot of fun.

I didn't know about that place either. Found it on a very old map. Even a few people living right there didn't know about it. I think they thought I was mad!  It's a real challenge trying to find info about some of these small places from many years back.

I don't think there are any more Minamiuonuma surprises!

(Let me know if/when you are up in the area).

Very nice work.

I would never have known those two places in Iiyama (Shinanodaira and Iiyama Kokusai) existed.

Very interesting. Have loads still to read, but keep them coming!

Thank you.

49 minutes ago, LiquidX said:

I would never have known those two places in Iiyama (Shinanodaira and Iiyama Kokusai) existed.

And there's more too!

What a really great idea!    :clap:

I'm going to enjoy going through all that. Thanks for putting it together.

I'd love to see photos from way back when these places were open. Or even from places that are still open, of course. (Realise that would probably be very difficult).

Thanks TheOrange.

I would also love to see photos like that.

But, as you suggested it's... difficult. There's literally (almost) no such photos to be found online as many of these areas existed before the internet came along and before people had digital photos. So you'd have to know people who had printed photos. Finding them is a challenge. I looked into trying to get some from this area - Yuzawa, Minamiuonuma - without much success. I did find a few, but there was a reluctance for them to be shared.

And I'm certainly not going to use anything without permission.

So, for now, we'll just have to make do with what there is.

AL

Been reading through it the last few weeks. So many I had never heard of.  Agreed about the Iiyama stuff!

Very interesting indeed and an excellent fine job you've done with it. Looking forward to each update.

This is a great resource, and a lot of fun. 
Much appreciate all the hard work that must've gone into research, compilation, etc.
Just one more reason why SnowJapan rocks!

That Nanamaki one is very interesting. Not just because I had no idea it existed, but taking a boat and walking up a hill!?!

:thumbsup:

I had no idea about it either until I was researching for the new site.

It's in a lovely location and I first visited on a really beautiful spring morning.

As I discover, study and (in some cases) visit these places, some feel more special/interesting than others. Nanamaki was one of those.

A

Thank you.

I have just updated it with another of those surprising discoveries. Well, I thought it was anyway.

Ohira was a small ski area about 500m from the Toyota Iiyama IC exit of the Joshinetsu Expressway - though that wasn't there when the ski area was operating. Photos taken back in April.

https://www.snowjapanhistory.com/updates

Went to another very interesting little area with a curious backstory in Nagano yesterday. That will appear sometime in the future...

OK must get back to work now....

• Like 1