SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
BillyOcto

20-21 Japan winter season - how normal might it be?

Question

Hi

I was planning on checking out Japan next January.

As the months fly by and it looks increasingly likely that coronavirus situation isn't going to be cleaning up any time soon and I can't imagine travel being back to normal... any thoughts on how 'normal' next winter might be?

15 answers to this question

Short answer: None at all! 
Realistically, even without coronavirus it's much too early to guess at what sort of winter weather is in store.

Even just as an overall climate estimate, you can't expect anything remotely in the ballpark before roughly September, and even then it would be more guess than forecast.
Complicate that with the pandemic, and there's just no way of telling where we'll be next winter in terms of skiing. Don't make any non-refundable reservations just yet 😁.

That said, January skiing is typically really good in Japan. Check out the exhaustive snowfall stats available here on SnowJapan.com for the areas you'd like to ski.

Thanks Slippery Jim

Yeah, there's the snow thing isn't there.... lets hope at least that is decent!

I was actually more questioning the coronavirus angle of things. Going to be interesting to see how much and how soon Japan might open up again....

I'd like to be wrong.

But I can't see Japan being in a mad rush to open up quickly. Low testing aside, Japan seems to have come out this with relatively low numbers of cases etc.

Surely when travel starts up again, it's going to be a somewhat slow and gradual process.

The other night on NHK there was a documentary about coronavirus and part of it had Mr Hoshino (the Hoshino of Hoshino Resorts Tomamu) talking about the situation. He seemed to be saying that they are going to concentrate on locals first, then wider Japan and last of all the overseas market. His opinion was the overseas stuff talking of 1-2 years before getting back (to 'normal'?).

I saw that too.

I am guessing not quite normal. Hopefully the world will catch a break and things might go better/quicker than looks likely.

Let us hope that the SNOW itself will be normal or normal+!  Another 19-20 would be quite depressing.

Friend of mine works for a ski-jo, they are looking to Asian travel opening up by autumn and feeling quite positive for something better than a disaster.

Better than total doom and gloom outlook, I suppose!

Right now, unless I am mistaken, if I leave Japan and try to come back... I won't be let back in - even with my permanent residence visa.

That does not seem right.

I'm sure they'll be happy to keep on taking my taxes while I am refused entry.

I really hope that changes sharpish, and then things open up again in the coming months.

My understanding is that you must have a pre-arranged location for a 14-day quarantine, and private transport to that location. 
Major PITA to be sure, but I don't think you're denied entry, especially with a PRV (but, I've been wrong before...).

They said generally people will be denied entry, apart from special humanitarian exceptions.

Those were clarified on Friday:

http://www.moj.go.jp/content/001321982.pdf

So basically it seems the 14 day quarantine thing only applies to people with a Japanese passport.

Unless I'm wrong, of course. I'm not too good at understanding longwinded legal sounding documents.

Hmmm, convoluted, but I think I read it as anyone with a permanent resident visa (or some other categories) qualifies for re-entry under "special exceptional circumstances," but I'd check w/immigration before leaving Japan. Then there are the "humanitarian" exceptions (eg, you travel to visit/care for an ill relative) and you can come back. 

It doesn't spell out the quarantine procedures, but of course that's a different ministry's responsibility so we don't want to clutter up our verbiage with theirs...🙅‍♂️

Are documents like that purposefully written in language that is hard to understand?

:wakaranai:

Why can't they be written in simple words that non lawyers will understand.

Grrr.

Where are we, July?

Hmmm. Not seeing much change since I last posted in May. Damn.

That permanent resident thing, sounds like there are changes you could be given permission but I can't imagine it being a smooth and easy process. I dread thinking how frustrating that might get. It does seems way overly strict to not allow those folk to come back.

What are accommodations doing right now re: overseas guests.  Offering free cancellations up until late year if you book or something?

Can we wake up from this soon?

Not a forecast, per se, but it was great to get the first hint of a coming snow season today as the local discount liquor store began advertising Aki Aji 🍻!

A few places I know have been offering free refunds, and extending them gradually.

There's going to be a point where they can't extend any more and it's winter.

Feel for everyone involved. Personally I'll be enjoying it, as I'm effectively 'stuck' in Japan (not complaining!)

We've pretty much given up on the idea of Japan 20-21.

Too much going on in the big picture, including some family drama. Not to mention the small detail that it's not looking like international travel is going to open in time or at least in a way that we want to participate.

So we're now looking forward to the year beyond. Hopefully by then the world will be less f%#$ up.