Any one beeen here so far this year? It appears to be open. I am thinking about doing a recon. this weekend to the easy to get to Yuzawa area.

By the way, is this resort generally refered to as simply Kagura?

It is open, and quite busy it seems on weekends. Kagura is the "central point" with Tashiro and Mitsumata both going off in different directions from that central area. But to get there, you either have to take the Mitsumate ropeway or the Tashiro ropeway, and make your way up to Kagura. Most people do seem to call it just Kagura. If you're going from Tokyo, you'll be best to get up there via the Mitsumata ropeway, which is about 15 minute drive from central Yuzawa.

Nice place.

Kagura is a good place, and seeing as though it's the only place with snow right now in Yuzawa (zero in the town) it's very popular especially at the weekends. We've had a lot of rain over the last few days, with some wet snow falling up tops, so not sure how good conditions will be. Reports from last week though were fairly positive.

During the regular season that area gets gobs of powder snow. The problem is, Kagura has too many skiers and moguls, Tashiro has mostly beginner runs(might be good for you Deebee)and it`s a pain in the butt to connect between these two places. Also, everytime I went there I almost always experienced very low visibility. It`s strickly a spring time destination for me.

By the way, if you go there by car from Tokyo you`re better off getting off at Tsukiyono Interchange and park below Tashiro Ropeway(about 10min after you pass Naeba). There`s a nice hot spring across the street from the parking lot.

We were in the area last weekend and it looked absolutely chocca - I'm not into waiting and queues so we decided to not battle on in there.

Kagura is always better (ie much less busy) when all the resorts down at town level are open (from late December). It's killer then, especially mid-week.

SnoboYaro

I disagree with you on that one. In winter when there is a lot of snow, you are best going a bit further and getting off at Yuzawa IC. Then the journey up to Mitsumata is much shorter. (They've got an onsen there too).

In winter the drive from Tsukiyono to Tashiro can take literally hours.

• 4 weeks later...

I stayed overnight at Kagura/Mitsumata Dec 26-27.

Tons of snow, but the problem was the accompanying killer winds, which resulted in shutting down Kagura-Tashiro (only Mitsumata was open). We ended up going to Naeba and Kandatsu. But, yeah, there should be tons of good pow up there now!

-Montoya

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:

I belive the conditions at Kagura now are pretty awesome after the last few days of snow. Anyone here with any first hand reports?

Was at Tashiro yesterday and had a great powder day! Would stay away from there on any other day though! Probably be good up there today as it was coming down thick when I left last night.

• 2 weeks later...