SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tobias Cortese

I plan to spend Jan '21 and Feb '21 in Japan. Where should I go?

Question

I'm interested in having the best snowboarding experience possible.

All other aspects (food, culture, history, festivals) are secondary.

Should I spend 2 months in Niseko? Why?

Should I spend 2 months at a different resort? Why?

Should I travel to several resorts? Which ones? Why?

4 answers to this question

I have to ask: If food, culture, history, festivals, etc. are secondary, why Japan? 
You could have a fantastic snowboarding experience in Snowbird, Big Sky, Revelstoke, Whistler....spend less money, avoid 12~18-hour flights, language hassles.
So, why Japan? There ought to be some other consideration that makes you want to come all the way here.
I ask this seriously, not mocking you or anything. Knowing why you want to make the trip opens the door to giving you some information. 

It must be the bountiful powder snow.... what Japan is famed for!

But seriously, next season it will be interesting to see how the marketing fellas deal with the crapfest of 19-20.  Just ignore it?

@Slippery Jim I spent last season in Whistler and was told by a number of folks that you have to go to Japan just to experience the snow. So I'm going to do it. And I'm not going for just a week or two, I'm going for two months. So that makes the overhead costs a non-factor.

@muikabochi I understand the risks and am okay with them! 🙂

OK, I'm going to suggest you base yourself in the Myoko region.

The area gets tons of snow, plenty of reasonably priced accommodations and relatively easy to access other large resorts such as Hakuba, Nozwa Onsen & Shiga Kogen.  

• Like 1