SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
DumbStick

Japan 2019-2020: a one off?

Question

Was hoping the late start was just that but it has been such a disappointment of a season hasn't it. (In general, had one good day at Kagura myself).

With low snow, can't see resorts lasting the distance this year.

We can only hope it is a one off and not the sign of things to come. It seems such a departure from the norm, not just a bit, that I believe the one off thing!

5 answers to this question

We all certainly hope so.

As you said, it's so different from normal. I think it has shocked a lot of folk.

I'm sure the coronavirus situation is not helping. Double punch.

I can see a fair number of ski-jo going bankrupt, especially as you head west.

What a grim season.

Certainly a Black Swan season here. Have to believe we will once again host serene white swans for '20-21.

It certainly has been a really rubbish season throughout Japan. Only had 70cm of snow here where I live this season up until today.

And has been very up and down with the temps too, very warm this winter.

In the 20+ years I have lived here it is the worst I can remember. I would expect next year to be better.The last couple of years have been generally rubbish mostly due to the jet stream staying further north than it should be, thus not allowing a proper NW airflow to cover Japan.

Hopefully it will move back somewhere more near to normal position which should give us a better more normal winter next winter.

Snowdude: is there anything we can do to bring the jet stream back down again? interesting how much cleaner the air in cities has become recently due to the absence of cars and factory smoke. Fish have returned to the canals of Venice! Climate change can be eased when we stop pollution which contributes to global warming. 

In Hokkaido it has been a reasonable season for piste skiers but a very disappointing one for backcountry. More attention to the preparation of pistes has helped a lot. Sapporo Teine has been much better this season and is still boasting depths of 270cm and 150cm. Areas in the interior close to Asahikawa while having a better quality of snow have had less.....Sahoro has had an average of 90cm-130cm most of the season, maintained by very good grooming. It was interesting to see the number of vans from Niseko in the car parks at Rusutsu, not to mention the groups of overseas backcountry skiers who had booked Hakuba and ended up being transported to Hokkaido!

If it's of any consolation the piste season in Chamonix Mont-Blanc did not start until January 10th a few years ago (used to be Nov) and had it not been for snowmaking there would have been very little skiing. Let's hope that this cycle of poor winters will soon end.....oops, I had to dig out my car 5 times in Sapporo City Jan/Feb, each time taking about 45mins the problem being where to put the snow!

• Like 1