SnowJapan Community
Mr.roo

How fast is takkyubin?

Question

Hello. If anyone has first hand knowledge of the efficiency of luggage delivery and can help I would greatly appreciate it.

I arrive at Narita at 7.30 am on a Sunday. I am then meeting friends in Tokyo before catching the train to Nagano then onward to Shiga kogen arriving Sunday evening. Is there any likelihood if I send my skis and luggage from the airport by Takkyubin they would make it to my hotel by Monday morning? I don't want to lug bags and skis but don't want to lose too much skiing time.

Thanks

Roo.

2 answers to this question

I would say it's possible but unlikely you can get delivery within a 24-hour window,. You may be able to receive bags on Tuesday morning, but I don't think Yamato will guarantee delivery until Wednesday a.m.
Just for reference, I shipped a ski bag from Niseko on Saturday afternoon, and it arrived at my home this morning about 10 a.m. But there was no guarantee that it would arrive before tomorrow morning. 
My advice would be carry boots/pants/jacket, ship the rest and just plan to rent skis for monday.

You do know that the last Nagano -> Shiga Kogen bus departs at 17:25, right?

Hi

I would unfortunately be very skeptical that you have the skies in the morning. The reason is that normally the parcel company has limited number of trucks out on the country side. Therefore it depends very much when the truck pass by your hotel in the ski area. It can be early or late in the day. 

Probably it is the main reason why the parcel companies normally say two days minimum delivery.

Please note that I got 3 days delivery this year from Haneda to Myoko area.

I am also very keen on not missing any skiing time. Therefore I have carried lots of bags and skies in Shinkansen. Because the trains are very organised it is much easier than you expect. I think Shinkansen is going to start charging for extra luggage next year. Therefore enjoy free skis and bags as long as you can 😏